Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Leaving Spain while on bail.

Unregistered

Default Leaving Spain while on bail.

Hi,

I have a question that bothers me:
    In april 2009 I had an accident with a cop on a motorcycle, he was passing on my right on a crossroads, in my opinion he was driving without lights. Anyway, he just tried to get past me when I was turning left (no directional put from my side) and I hit him, at very slow speed, maybe 15km/h as I was turning 90 degrees.
    The cop did not get hurt, but an alcotest showed me positive at 0.63.
    I spent one night in jail and was released the next day on libertad provisional without having to pay a bail, now I have to go to sign at the courthouse every 2 weeks to show I am still in Spain, which I always do.
    I am accused of "delito contra la seguridad vial" for driving under influence of alcohol, it does not say anything about the accident
    It's now been 1 and a half years and I still have no date for going to court.
    What will happen if I leave Spain and do not go to court?? Will I have to pay the fine I get, even though I will be in Belgium for example?

Many thanks.

Max

Hello,

If you leave the country an Arrest warrant will be issued so you appear before the judge. That means you would be arrested once you enter Spain until the following day of the court hearing. It is a national warrant; not international.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Default Thanks a lot.

Thank you for your answer.
    I think leaving without taking care of this is not an option then.
    If however I would decide to leave before the case has been in court, is there a possibility to have a lawyer taking care of it in my abscence?
    How would that be regulated, let's say, would I get informed about the fine to pay and pay it from wwherever I am?

It's been 1 and a half year now and I am still waiting for a hearing.

Many thanks.

Kind regards.

Unregistered

Default mr jones

can anyone help me this, i was arrested in ibiza with my friend who was in possession of drugs we were arrested and put in jail and put before a court after 2 days. we don't know if we've been charged with anything as we had to pay £5000 euros each to be released, which we paid and were released and since come home to the UK. we don't know if we have got to return to face charges or is that it as they didn't even take our passport. i am really worried that they may have me arrested in the UK and returned to Spain to face charges.
    thanks