Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Registry and Catastro different

Default Registry and Catastro different

Should I be concerned or is it a minor issue?

I am thinking of buying a rural property but there are discrepencies as follows.

The Registry states 20,000m2 ownership; but the Catastro states 24,000m2 plot.
    No physical boundary exists around the land, so I'm concerned that someone could make a claim on 4000m2. the current owner has had the property since the early 90s.
    All the plans I've seen always refer to the 24,000m2 plot, so I think a mistake was made when the curent owner bought the land. Interestingly, his passport number and not NIE is on the escritura!!

Ideas anyone ?

This is a tricky situation as boundary problems abound, even more so where foreign people are involved who, ocassionally, are taken advantage of by local neighbours. It would therefore be advisable that, if in doubt, your seller or you, prior agreement with you, to proceed with what is called an "expediente de deslinde", which is a judicial procedure to establish boundaries. Of course, your neighbour may be happy with agreeing out of court where the boundaries should run, in which case you can get lawyers to write up an agreement to the effect. This if the best option, for sure.
    Antonio Flores
    Abogado/Lawyer
    Lawbird Legal Services | Contact Me
    Instagram | Read my Blog