Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-lucrative Visa

Default Non-lucrative Visa

(I indeed posted a reply in a separate post, but thinking it may be better to start a thread discussing this subject, thanks for your kind attention and sorry for the inconvenience caused).

Hi there everyone, i am on this website coz i googled "non-lucrative visa for spain". i am from non-EU country and would like to move to Spain for good.

After doing some research seems the most possible way is applying for "non-lucrative visa". However, i have this concern of NOT being able to fulfil the major requirement of having $75,000 annual income... depending on HOW this is being interpreted...

MY QUESTIONS are --
    (1) whether we are talking about INCOME, like monthly salary added up to annual income of this amount? OR
    (2) it could be the money in my SAVING ACCOUNT, as long as i keep it at the required level?
    (3) Also how about the asset like property I own and the rent income I get? Do they count?

This is really making me very worried coz if I don't work anymore in my own country and move to spain, i will not have such high annual income of $75,000 if this is what they want.

Actually it may seem complicated or silly... my dream is to reside in France on indefinite term... however, they don't have anything similar like non-lucrative visa... so my humble plan is to stay in Spain, get permanent residence, get citizenship so i could become EU resident, then i would be free to travel anywhere in Europe, ultimately staying in France...

I wish someone could share some comments to help me understand better or correct my wrong concepts if any... THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!!!

Below is the extract from the consulate spain chicago.

"Documentation and translation into Spanish that you have enough periodic income (investments, annuities and any other source of income) to live while you are in Spain (this will be evaluated by the General Direction of Consular and Juridical Matters) plus two copies. The minimum income required is $75,000 annually plus $15,000 per each additional family member. If stocks or partnerships are owned in one or several companies, it must be specified that no funds are derived from direct labor activity in these companies."

Hello Omigod,

Please find enclosed the answer to your queries:

1) Correct. We are talking about income in the form of salary, income received from rentals, shares, bonds, etc.
    2) Apart from the above you must also deposit in your Spanish bank account a minimum of 75,000 USD or the equivalent in EUR.
    3) Note that this permit is only intended for those applicants who are able to move to Spain and at the same time maintain their source of income. This would be the case of company directors, for example. I hope this information was useful.
    Marta Flores
    Legal Assistant at Lawbird
    Check My Profile

My wife and I have applied for the non-lurative visa 12 weeks ago but have yet to receive any reply. Is there a cause for concern due to this long wait? What is the usual period of wait?

We are very worried the visa may be rejected.

We applied in July, and we were told to provide bank statements showing Euro 29,000+ for each person. We provided a fixed deposit of 51,000+ sterling pounds and US$250,000. Is the amount sufficient? We are applying 2 independent visas.

Could anybody please advise us?
    Last edited by Imm; 10-29-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Hello Imm,

By reading the little information you have provided I do not see a reason that could result in the denial of the Non Lucrative residence permit, unless you had failed to provide with the remaining documentation related to the proof of dwelling and evidence of regular income.
    The possible explanation for the delay in the resolution may be that there is an overload of work at all immigration offices, and the applications can even take up to a year to be resolved. However, you can file a formal petitition of information at the corresponding oficina de extranjeros and find out what is the current status.

Best Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Is it really that easy to get a residency visa in Spain? I am an American citizen of Filipino ancestry. I have passive income in excess of the $75,000/year requirement from investments and would love to get EU citizenship. All i have to do is prove my income to the Spanish Consulate, get a non-lucrative visa, live there for two years and then apply for citizenship? Sounds too good to be true.

Hello San Diego,

I am glad it sounds easy to you, as it basically is as you describe it, however, you have to be careful and check very well the documentation to prove your pre-exisitng capital and regular income, so the authorities accept your application. We recommend hiring the services of a solicitor for this type of applications to check all the requirements are met and that the financial documentation is in order and with high possibilities of approval, bearing in mind they knwo well what are the immigration offices criteria in those cases.

Please feel free to contact me by clicking on my profile if you wish to explain your case in detail.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

Thanks for the info Patricia! I would like my son (currently a toddler) to spend a year or two in Europe to expand his horizons and hopefully give him native fluency in another language. My Filipino ethnicity makes Spain sound like the natural choice, and I don't see any drawbacks to pursuing citizenship (dual?) while I'm there. My husband will maintain his American citizenship, and we have the finances to pursue this. Sorry to keep the thread going in bunch of different directions, but as a naturalized American citizen, must I give up my American citizenship to acquire Spanish (EU) citizenship? What are the consequences if I do not do this?

Hello San Diego,

I believe your questions have been answered in other threads.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

So Sorry Patricia! When I first joined this forum, I thought it was just a community of Spanish enthusiasts helping each other. So I tried to fit my questions into a few different threads with hopes that different people might see my inquiry and help me I have since learned that both you and Marta are wonderful and here to help us. I'm so sorry to be repetitive. Thank you so much for all the info!

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by omigod View Post

Below is the extract from the consulate spain chicago.

"Documentation and translation into Spanish that you have enough periodic income (investments, annuities and any other source of income) to live while you are in Spain (this will be evaluated by the General Direction of Consular and Juridical Matters) plus two copies. The minimum income required is $75,000 annually plus $15,000 per each additional family member. If stocks or partnerships are owned in one or several companies, it must be specified that no funds are derived from direct labor activity in these companies."
    I don't understand how the Consulate in Chicago comes up with $75K figure, while the law of Spain only requires 400% IPREM, which is about 26K Euros/year?