Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Getting married but not sure if I'm still legal

Default Getting married but not sure if I'm still legal

Hi there,

I've been living in Spain for 2.5 years now, 2 of those with my partner. We're currently getting paperwork together to get married. My question is:

I came to Spain on a student visa and then renewed that visa a year later. The most recent student visa I had ran out in May last year. We took a trip to New York this January, in the hope that when I re-entered Spain I would then be on a 90 day tourist visa and would be able to marry my boyfriend.

It's taken us a long time to get our papers together (I have an appointment in Madrid next week to get my certificate of no impediment to marriage - that should be the last thing we need!) to get married and it's possible that by the time we actually go to the Registro Civil my theoretical 90 days will have passed - if I ever really had them in the first place...

How closely do they look at your passport when they're processing your marriage paperwork? I have a lot of exit and entry stamps and I'm hoping no one will be bothered to add them up, but I'm afraid that if they do, I'll be in trouble. And it would be really sad to get into trouble on the day that we're trying to present ourselves to get married! Imagine going to the Registro Civil to lodge your application for marriage, and instead, getting deported!

Does anyone know exactly how scared I need to be? And what I should do? Leave the country for 3 months, come back in and then try to get married? Or just risk it? Or go along to the Registro with a lawyer?

Hi SugarFreak

Which is your boyfriend's nationality? Is he legally resident in Spain?
    Marta Flores
    Legal Assistant at Lawbird
    Check My Profile