Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Timeshare resellers: Be careful!

Rowing

Default Timeshare resellers: Be careful!

It's IGS again now in Majorca, who say they have a customer for our t/share and what figure would we accept. They come back an hour later with an offer nearly twice our figure, customer with them, finance waiting, but please lodge refundable£1250 deposit against us not completing contract. Persistantly rang but told them no way, I wasn't born yesterday.

Unregistered

Thumbs up Odyssey

I sold my timeshare through Odyssey and found them great! Yes, I had to provide a provision but as soon as I'd sent them my deeds (after receiving the money for the t/s I might add!) it was put back on my card! I've already recommended them to friends of mine who are also looking to sell! Good business all around!

Mrs E Harris
    Doncaster

Administrator

Yeah, sure.

"Mrs E Harris", have you not thought of getting yourself a legal job? What are you going to tell your grandchildren when you grow old, that you made a living out of ripping elderly people off out of their life savings?

If there's a Hell below, it is surely meant for people like you.

Unregistered

Thumbs down odyssey

Mrs Harris, how long have you worked for Odyssey or should it be International Global Services!!!!!!!!

Unregistered

Thumbs down odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have just been contacted by Patrick (with an Irish accent) from Odyssey Consultants wanting to sell my timeshare. I told him that someone was at the door and if he gave me his telephone number then I would phone back. This number is 0808 1293889. I then told him that I was registered with the TPS and had no intention of selling my timeshare - I then hung up. Lo and behold two minutes later he was on the phone again saying that he hadn't given me a reference number and that the telephone number that he had supplied was wrong. He said "who's the fool now?". I hung up again. The given telephone has an automated (in English) response saying 'not available'. My barge pole protects me!
    The number you want is 08081293879 and it is also the number given out for Avant. According to posts on other warning sites on some calls they are in Mallorca and others they give an address in Andorra bur miraculously with the same phone number. Also the same names seem to appear with International Global Services.
    DON'T TOUCH THEM WITH A BARGE POLE.

Unregistered

Default odessey consultants

The number you want is 08081293879 and it is also the number given out for Avant. According to posts on other warning sites on some calls they are in Mallorca and others they give an address in Andorra bur miraculously with the same phone number. Also the same names seem to appear with International Global Services.
    DON'T TOUCH THEM WITH A BARGE POLE.

I was contacted by Patrick and then Julie and then Amey, they said they had a buyer for my timeshare and needed 1200 up front as a retainer. I consulted my credit card company and they told me it was okay retainers are asked for all the time. They now have my money, they sent me a contract and authorisation invoice I signed contract but did not sign authorisation invoice for 1200. They ring me regularly requesting written authorisation for credit card payment as they claim they have a buyer and cannot proceed until they receive it. The retail dispute dept of my credit card company told me whether I sign it or not they have my money and the contract is for 9 months so they cannot challenge them until after 9 months.
    What I don't understand is, they have my money so I don't know why they keep ringing to sign authorisation form. The contract is not worth an awful lot of money about the same as we paid for the timeshare 18years ago. If it is a scam why have they not just taken my money and run???

I was contacted by Patrick and then Julie and then Amey, they said they had a buyer for my timeshare and needed 1200 up front as a retainer. I consulted my credit card company and they told me it was okay retainers are asked for all the time. They now have my money, they sent me a contract and authorisation invoice I signed contract but did not sign authorisation invoice for 1200. They ring me regularly requesting written authorisation for credit card payment as they claim they have a buyer and cannot proceed until they receive it. The retail dispute dept of my credit card company told me whether I sign it or not they have my money and the contract is for 9 months so they cannot challenge them until after 9 months.

What I don't understand is, they have my money so I don't know why they keep ringing to sign authorisation form. The contract is not worth an awful lot of money about the same as we paid for the timeshare 18years ago. If it is a scam why have they not just taken my money and run???
    You can be sure it's a scam.

Legitimate timeshare resale companies DO NOT ask for retainer fees.

They are paid off from the sales' proceeds.

As a general rule anyone cold-calling you out-of-the-blue with a potential "buyer" for your timeshare is a scam if any or all the following apply:

1. They request money for "admin" fees
    2. They request a "retainer" fee
    3. They request money to "secure" the deal
    4. They request money to "translate" the documents

etc.

Remember, these con artists are top salesman, they are smooth talkers and will woo you out of you money very convincingly; after all they make a living out of it.

Excerpt from UK's Timeshare Consumers Association (TCA):

http://www.timeshare.org.uk/rescon.html

Timeshare Resale Scam

Most scams start with the BIG LIE

In the Resale Scam the BIG LIE is "Your timeshare is worth X thousand pounds" when in reality it is probably worth only a fraction of that.

Most timeshare weeks/points are worthless in the open market and ALL Holiday Club memberships are totally worthless,

This scam has already netted the crooks over £500M - don't be another of their victims . The TCA have an (unpublished) "blacklist" of over 1,690 of these crooks - you have been warned !

1. It usually starts with a "cold call" by someone claiming to be able to sell your week - or even claiming to have already sold your week. The amount you will receive, they say, is usually a hundred times more than the true market value of your week (although you may not know this! - talk to any of our recommended resale brokers to find out the true market price )

2. OR it may be an advertisement in a newspaper or magazine inviting timeshare owners to register their weeks for sale.

3. OR it they may be offering you a chance to buy RCI points cheaply.

4. OR they may invite you to their offices "to complete" the sale of your timeshare

5. They may claim to be resellers or real estate agents. They may claim that they are registered in the UK. In truth, they are fraudsters.

6. OR they may claim to be setting up a compensation claim in the courts, inviting you to join, for a fee.

7. To give themselves credibility they may say that they are a registered company and invite you to check with the Spanish Companies House. Or they may invite you to talk to their lawyers. Or they claim membership of a "trade" organisation - which is no guide to safe dealing with a resale broker. The telephone numbers they give you to check will be mobile numbers, answered by one of their colleagues in the sales office!

8. They may also send, by fax or post, a “contract” which appears to have the name and a signature of a “buyer”. This contract is a fabrication . But even good solicitors have been taken in by them.

9. Then they will say that they need you to pay them money – amounts ranging from £300 to £3,000. The reasons for this payment are all totally fictitious – advance legal fees; a Spanish legal requirement; a “security bond”; registration of the deeds etc. etc. None are true.

OR, they may invite you to visit them, in the UK, Tenerife or Spain, to collect the money from the buyer. You go to their offices expecting to return with ££££££ in your pocket – but actually return ££££££ the poorer, perhaps with membership of some bogus holiday club and a piece of paper promising enormous sums to be paid to you in 3 or 5 years time. A "Cash Back" promise that is certainly worthless.

OR, they may tell you that they are lawyers and that, as a victim of an earlier fraud, you will get back the money you paid (and even some of the money that the fraudsters had promised from the sale of your timeshare). All you have to do is pay £££££. The caller may well be the same person who defrauded you the first time.

OR, they may claim to be a bank holding the purchasers money on your behalf. All you have to do is send the "bank" some money. Again, the caller is probably from the same gang as previously.

OR, they may claim that you need to "upgrade" your ownership to achieve a sale. Pay £1,000 to the fraudsters for the upgrade and - nothing! (an Asian version of the the scam)

OR they may persuade you to "trade in" your timeshare for membership of a holiday club. Not only are holiday clubs bad news but you find that your timeshare is NOT transferred out of your name leaving you with the annual fees to pay on two membership. This is the well known "buy/sell" scam.

They may pretend to be calling from the UK or the US - even giving a relevant telephone number - but are mostly calling from Spain or the Canaries using a call transfer or an international mobile number. But some ARE calling from the UK and they are just as dangerous as those calling from Spain etc.

These companies are acting fraudulently. They are VERY convincing and VERY persistent,

TCA advice:

NEVER send any money to any company on the promise of selling your timeshare - whatever reason they might give you for paying. and certainly do not give them your credit/debit card number.

NEVER send an ownership certificate, or even a copy of one.

Check the true market value by talking to any of our recommended resellers - then you will know if the price quoted by the fraudster is reasonable or not.

If you have already given your credit card number:

Do NOT sign any written agreement that you are sent.

Write to the reseller (Recorded Delivery) confirming that you contracted on a date (of the ‘phone call) for them to sell your week at a given price in a given time period (both as per ‘phone call) and that you paid by credit card and you now look forward to receiving the payment of the proceeds of sale within the time period.

Totally ignore any further correspondence or ‘phone calls from the fraudster.

When the time period has expired write to the reseller demanding payment of the promised amount in not more than 10 days from the date of your letter.

If they fail to pay, make a claim on your credit card company under S75 of the Consumer Credit Act on the basis that you have been defrauded out of £xxx (some resellers conveniently forget to tell you that there was VAT on top of the payment!) OR issue a claim in the County Court - if the fraudster is based in England or Wales - for all your money back on the grounds of breach of contract.

See Details of how to make a claim.

If you paid by means other than a credit card

Then you have no chance of recovering any money.

Finally

Please report the matter to the Office of Fair Trading Details are here.
    Yours sincerely,
    Raymundo LarraÃ*n Nesbitt
    Last edited by Lawbird Lawyer; 06-07-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Lawbird Lawyer View Post
    You can be sure it's a scam.

Legitimate timeshare resale companies DO NOT ask for retainer fees.

They are paid off from the sales' proceeds.

As a general rule anyone cold-calling you out-of-the-blue with a potential "buyer" for your timeshare is a scam if any or all the following apply:

1. They request money for "admin" fees
    2. They request a "retainer" fee
    3. They request money to "secure" the deal
    4. They request money to "translate" the documents

etc.

Remember, these con artists are top salesman, they are smooth talkers and will woo you out of you money very convincingly; after all they make a living out of it.

Excerpt from the Timeshare Organisation (TCA):

http://www.timeshare.org.uk/rescon.html

Yours sincerely,
    Amey just rang to say she will go ahead and process sale of time share will let you know if it is a scam she said it will take approx 5 days to contact buyer and recieve the rest of the deposit.

Unregistered

Default sale of timeshare

Well it has been a lot more than 5 days and I'm very interested to know if they came up with the "goods" for you.

For your sake I hope so, but I certainly won't hold my breath.

I don't know how these people sleep at night!!!!!!

Unregistered

Thumbs down Odyssey

Has anyone out there had any luck with Odyssey? They are the biggest scammers going. They are the same people as Global reservation Services and Avant.
    I've been called by all of them, same caller twice but from a different company. Do they think we are all bloody stupid!!!!!!