Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Doing a master in law in Spain

Default Doing a master in law in Spain

Hi,

I'm a third year law student in England. I'm thinking of doing a master in Law at Universidad de Malaga. Are there any standard requirements such as work experience, quality of LLB for example - 2:2 or 2:1 min or some other requirements which I need to meet in order to enrol on that course.

I also researched the UMA site but could not find any info on what the fee would be. I searched the forum here and found that one of your guests would have to pay 30 000 Euro but I guess that is because he was not an EU citizen.

In addition, how does the system in Spain work after graduation. Is there anything like going through LPS course of a Bar examination or graduates can get a job straight away after graduation.

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by chezarion; 08-01-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Hi

There are many queries over the years on studying Law or an LL.M. in Law in Spain in our Immigration queries section. I advice you to go through all the related queries.

I'm unaware of UMA's requirements on studying a Masters with them.

Law students in Spain can start working "straight away after graduation". Although this is bound to change in the near future as I explain below.

Currently in Spain, unlike other European countries, you do not need to pass a training period to qualify as a lawyer. You can attain a Law degree (LL.B) and immediately request to join one of Spain's regional Bar Associations to practice Law. However, serious law students join Law Practice Schools after attaining their Law degree which is an equivalent to a Master's degree (LL.M. in Law).

However, this is set to change in the near future as a new law, "Ley de Acceso a la AbogacĂ*a", is bound to be passed requiring an exam to be taken to qualify as a lawyer. It'll be an equivalent to the US Bar exam. It is still uncertain what this exam will consist on, as negotiations are ongoing. It has generated great controversy. But it seems it will consist on both multiple choice questions besides two practical cases. A Law graduate will be required to study additionally 100 credits in a period spaning two years before being able to take this exam.

The introduction of this new law will bring an unexpected consequence to the labor market. Between 2012 and 2013 there will be no Law graduates available in Spain to be recruited as they will all be studying the compulsory 2 year Master to take the Bar exam.

More on this new law:

http://www.expansion.com/2010/05/11/...273571937.html

Yours faithfully,
    Last edited by Lawbird Lawyer; 08-02-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Thank you for coming back to me so quickly.

Regards

Chezarion

You are welcome Chezarion.

Regards