Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: tax relief for renting in spain

Default tax relief for renting in spain

Hi,

My sister is renting an apartment in Sevilla. She's 39 and working as an English teacher, with a contract so pays tax. A couple of her colleagues have mentioned that it's possible to get tax relief on the amount of rent paid to the owner but they don't know any more than that. I told her that declaration this month would be for the year 2009 but she seems to think that there is a new system where you can claim this year for this year's rent so far, probably something to do with making Hacienda aware of undeclared rental. Does anyone know:

a) what is the percentage of tax relief for declaring for the previous year's rental?
    b) does anyone know about declaring this year for this year's rental?
    c) where does it state this on Hacienda's website (link/http address?)

Many thanks

Hi,

Your sister would not qualify, as she's over 35 y.o. If your sister is renting witha partner then he must be below 35 y.o. to qualify and they must be declaring jointly for tax purposes. This must be their main residence.

This is unrelated with surfacing undeclared rental, it is devised to help young tenants.

Yours faithfully,
    Last edited by Lawbird Lawyer; 06-03-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Unregistered

Thanks for your time. I will tell my sister.

Aleksandra

Default Tax relief - house rental

Hi,

Is that relief is still in force? Does it apply only to couples or a single person under 35 is eligible too?

Are there any restrictions in terms of the maximum income in order to apply?

Thanks!