Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Studying Law in Spain (in Spanish)

Unregistered

Excellent, thank you! That is very interesting though. I am going to try to find an online continental law degree.

Unregistered

Default wana work as a lawyer in spain is it possible?

hi to everyone.

i have a law degree(civilian backround)and practise for 1 year in turkey.so here is my guestion if i move to spain can i work as a lawyer in there?if i can should i have to do llm before working?pls i cant speak spanish.take care

Unregistered

Default To study l.l.m in spain

hi.

im new to this blog.. and i have find intresting information.. im advocate form Pakistan and i was intrested to study L.L.M from Spain ..and i hold good command in Spanish language.. my question is that can i get admission in L.L.M directly or i have to give some test to qualify for it. and do my L.L.B degree is recognize by Spain.

Regards.

Azher Rafiq ( puede hablar bien espanol..me podeis responderme en espanol )

Dear Sir,

You do not have to qualify to take on a LL.M in Spain. It is not required.

Your LL.B. will not be recognized in Spain unless you homologate it first.

Please follow the instructions of the Foreign affairs department on this matter:

homolgate your degree to spain
    sarahmorrison

Yours faithfully,

Default L.L.M study in spain

Dear LawBird.

Thanks for the reply. so its mean that i can apply for L.L.M in spain universities.

Thanks

Yours faithfully,[/QUOTE]

Dear Sir,

You´re welcome.

You will be required to hold an LL.B. or equivalent buy you will not be required to pass any "tests" as you write. After all, it's you who will be paying over 30,000€ for a full time course.

They will probably require proficiency in GMAT tests (min score of 630) or Spanish language tests, 2 or 3 year's working experience etc..the normal. But there´s no knowledge test or anything like it.

To start you off, you can browse the following web page which lists various LL.M's and you can click further on the individual requirements that need to be met on application.

http://www.llm-guide.com/spain/1

But if you want to work in Spain as a qualified lawyer, you will need to have your LL.B. homologated, as per my prior e-mail above.

Yours faithfully,
    Last edited by Lawbird Lawyer; 01-14-2010 at 07:16 PM.

SA Lawyer

Default SA lawyer

Dear Lawbird Lawyer,

I have read the above chain with some interest as some of the issues you cover relate to my current situation. It seems that you are very clued up and I’d very much appreciate your advice on the following.

I am a South African qualified lawyer with an LLM from The Netherlands. I’m living in Madrid at the moment and want to homologate my LLB. I phoned the Colegio de Abogados here in Madrid, and they were most unhelpful to say the least. According to them this is something this only dealt with by the Ministry of Education.

When I phoned the Ministry, they explained the process by which I could homologate my LLB and said that it could take up to a year and a half to process, but that they could not guarantee that they would homologate it. I’ve also spoken to a girl from Colombia who said she had her degree homologated, but had to do extra exams in the case of subjects required in Spain but which were adjudged not to form part of her law curriculum in Colombia.

Now I assume Colombia is a civil law jurisdiction similar to Spain. So it would seem strange if she had to do extra exams but I didn’t considering that I come from a common law country with laws similar to England, the US, Australia etc…

I don’t mind doing a few extra exams, but what I’m deadly afraid of is waiting a year and a half and then finding out I have to do a substantial amount of my degree again!

Do you think this likely? I take it you have knowledge of persons from common law countries who have homologated their degrees.

Any light you could shed on this, would be much, much appreciated

Thanks.

Dear colleague,

Thank you for your kind words.

You've been well-informed. As per my prior posts, it's the Ministry of Education the competent public body in Spain to homologate a foreign degree:

Homologate your degree in Spain

In reply to your question, I do know many lawyers who attained their degrees in Common Law countries i.e. England & Wales, and homologated them sucessfully. As you've been advised, always the red tape, homologation typically takes on average between one year and half and three years and it's discretionary.

I doubt you will be expected to take any exams. The practical problem you will find on practising law in Spain once you've successfully homologated your Law degree is that lawyers who come from the Common Law System are at a loss when it comes to our national laws. Basically you will be a layman requiring years upon years to learn and master your particular area of expertise.

Which explains why most of these lawyers don't really practice law in Spain and act more as high-profile PR's for their law firms organising focus seminars and conferences in hotels aimed to solicit fellow countrymen. The grunt work is actually carried out normally by their Spanish counterparts as it's normal. It's really not their fawlt as the legal systems differ so greatly. They are just practical about it and bridge the gap between Spanish laws and their countrymen.

There are lawyers who are exceptions to the above general rule, of course. There are areas of expertise, i.e International Law, International Arbitration, that can easily bypass this problem and you will probably even have more of a competitive edge than a Spanish lawyer.

Lawyers who really do practise law in Spain on day-to-day basis after having homologated their degrees are normally all those who have a Continental Law academical background i.e. German lawyers. Their Bürgeliches Gesetzbuch and our Civil Code (backbone of our legal system) for example are similar of sorts; they are already well-acquainted with grasping the core concepts of our laws and can perform admirably well in Spain.

Yours faithfully,
    Last edited by Lawbird Lawyer; 01-22-2010 at 03:26 PM.

SA Lawyer

Default SA lawyer

Thank you very much for your quick and thorough response.

A potential three year wait is intimidating, but I do have a Masters in International Law, and that is the field I would like to persue in the long term at any rate. So I think I'm in a position to wait it out - assuming of course I can find work in my field!

Thanks again for your advice.

I wish you well.

You're welcome.

Don't let me put you off just because of the 3 year delay (that really was the worst case scenario). In Spain these things do take their time so 2 years perhaps is more in line with what they'll take. Patience is a plus!

I wish you the best of luck in your professional endeavour.

Regards