Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Residence and Citizenship

Hi Benlim,

For the non lucrative permit you will need to prove residency in Spain. Either by purchasing or renting a property in Spain. This is one of the main requirements.

I don't quite understand when you say that you can only find a job in Spain if you have citizenship... This statement is not correct..! Once you have been issued your work and residence permit you will be able to begin working straight away. Not if it is a non lucrative permit of course, but in this case, you will be able to change your permit after the first year into a salaried or self employed permit without any difficulties.

If you would like to start working straight away, then you might want to consider the self employed permit. Right now due to the current economic circumstances, it is a very good permit to apply for.

With regards to the time spent in Spain I am afraid that I cannot give you a different answer to the one already given. The law is very clear with regards to the requirements for residency.

You have my e-mail address and my contact number. Please feel free to give me a call or send me an e-mail if you would like to discuss this matter in more detail.
    Marta Flores
    Legal Assistant at Lawbird
    Check My Profile

sks

Default change resident

i have lithunian student temporary residence and i left lithunian country now i am in spain i don,t want to counvert in spainsh resedence what can i do?

Hi Sks,

Unfortunately I don't understand your post.

Being Lithuanian you are part of the European Union and you can therefore reside and work freely in Spain. Anyone who spends more than 183 days per year in Spain becomes fiscally resident in this country. Does this answer your query?
    Marta Flores
    Check My Profile

Hi Marta!

I've read your previous response to others in search for answers and its great to find someone that is passionated in helping others!!

As you response to Migo, I only have to reside in Spain for 2 yrs?? My parents are from El Salvador (which I read from your other respond of which countries are qualified!) Now my question is what are the procedures, do I need a visa in order to first move to Spain?
    I live in the U.S, could I apply for jobs online or do I have to first reside in Spain then look for work??

Thank you so much!!
    Gil Moreno

Dear Gil,

Thank you for your kind comments!

You would be able to qualify for Spanish citizenship after two years of legal residence in Spain, if you are from El Salvador or an ex Spanish colony.

In order to apply for a salaried permit this will need to be done from abroad, from the country you currently reside in. Nevertheless, with the current high levels of unemployment in our country, most applications are being turned down so we recommend you not to apply at the moment for this specific permit.
    Marta Flores
    Check My Profile

Default Questions re: Sephardic Jewry, former colonies and work permits

Hi all,

A couple related questions. First, what percentage Sephardic do you have to be to qualify? Any Spanish Jewish past? or does it have to be grandparents?

Second, does the US count as a former Spanish colony?

Third, if you do have one of the former qualifications to get fast-tracked to citizenship once you are a resident, does these qualifications give any help in getting a residential work permit? Right now the work permit seems like the hard part, not the citizenship.

Thanks!

Hi Alfrek,

With regards to your first question unfortunately I am not able to help. You need to prove that you are of Sephardic descent but as to the documentation required, I cannot say. I would recomend that in order to find out, you contact your nearest Sephardic congregation or even the one in Spain. Your closest Spanish Consulate might also be able to help.

No, the Spanish civil code does not contemplate the US as a former colony.

I am not sure of what you mean by former qualifications? I don't quite understand...
    Marta Flores
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Question self employed permit

hi what are the requirements for self employed permit as you mentioned in one of your post? and where do i need to apply for that? are those permit also available for people coming from the 3rd world countries and how long is the processing?

Hi,

In order to find out about the requirements please e-mail us at our Lawbird website and we will explain in detail. The processing time varies depending on the permit you are going for and the province you apply in. It can range from 3 months to a year. Yes, you can apply from any country or nationality. Spain has no restrictions when it comes to nationalities.
    Marta Flores
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Smile Question regarding Spanish citizenship

Hello, My family on both sides are of Spanish descent and the founding families of New Mexico and California. In fact we still have Spanish land grants in our name awarded to us by the King of Spain. So we are Spanish by blood down the line with very little to no mixing for close to 400 years in the now U.S. former Spanish colonies.

Can you please tell me if the Spanish government would acknowledge it's former colonies in the U.S. provided I can show proof of direct lineage and family names and immigration documents?