The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Filipino Wanting Spanish Citizenship

Rona

Default Inquiring for for Spanish citizenship

Hello Patricia,

I appreciate your reply..

Well, all I know is that the only document I have is my birth certificate.. I don't think we have any other documents.. I will still have to ask my father.. .I was born October 03, 1987 in Madrid.. My parents did not apply for citizenship while we we're there..

Hope to hear from you.. I will get back to you with more info..

Thanks,
    Rona

Hi Rona,

In that case, you would have to be a legal resident in Spain for 2 years before qualifying for Spanish citizenship. Legal residency has to be proven for the last two years before applying for citizenship, so those 7 years you lived in Spain do not count.

The fact of being born in Spain does not grant citizenship right away, unless one of your parents was a Spanish national at the time.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Default Filipino Spanish who failed to opt for citizenship

My grandmother was legally Spanish, Macaria Izon born in Bataan in the Philippines in 1860, her daughter, Culaza was also Spanish born in Bataan in the Philippines in 1896. In 1916, my grandmother Rosario was born. My father Catalino was the son of Rosario and he was registered with a mother who is Spanish at his birth. Am I a Spaniard? However, my birth was never registered as Spanish at the Spanish Consulate until the Ley Memoria Historica was passed by the Spanish Government.

Hello,

Your nationality I believe is now Phillipine,as well as your fatherĀ“s as you do not mention that he was registered as a Spanish national.

If your grandmother was a Spanish citizen, you are able to apply for the Spanish nationality after one year of legal residence in Spain. In any case, Phillipine citizens can apply for the Spanish citizenship after two years of legal residence in Spain.

The Spanish nationality is not granted just based on the fact the you have Spanish ancestry; you are required to be born in Spain to Spanish parents in order to qualify for Spanish citizenship by origin.

Please note that it is no longer possible to apply for Spanish nationality based on the Ley de Memoria Historica, as the deadline to file applications expired end of 2011.

Best Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

Hello, I am a Filipino living in Canada. My Father was a Spanish National born in the Philippines. My Grandfather (Father's Father) was a Spanish National that moved to the Philippines during the early 1930's. Date unknown. I would like to claim my Spanish Nationality. Am I eligible to do so with out having to do the residency for 1 year. I am Spanish am I not?

Unregistered

Default Advice for Spanish Citizenship

Hello. I'd like to ask, how does one avail of Spanish citizenship? Only my great grandmother was originally from Spain. Is it possible for my dad to get his citizenship and therefore (through my dad) his children become Spanish citizens? What are the requirements?

Any advice or person with contact details I can talk to regarding this will be appreciated.

Hello,

You need to find out if the Spanish nationality was lost somewhere in the family line, either by virtue of adopting another nationality or by renouncing. Once you can confirm that your father is still a Spanish citizen by origin and he registers as such, you will be able to apply for Spanish nationality by origin.

I recommend you to make an enquiry at the closest Spanish embassy and they will let you know how to find out that information through the Civil Registry. In the meantime you can check the Spanish Ministry of JusticeĀ“s Website, nationality section where you will be able to read very useful information about the requirements and process.

If you wish to discuss your particular case in detail, please feel free to e-mail me ( click on my profile ).

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

Hannah

Post I am a Spanish Citizen with a fiance who's a Filipino Citizen. I live here in UK.

Hi I just want to inquire regarding on how can I bring my husband to be here in london with me. We're planning to get married next year and is it possible I can bring him with me as soon as possible after our marriage? What are the requirements he'll need to obtain the resident card or visa? Is there any new rules now on how can I carry him as an EEA family? Thank you for your response.

Daryl De Los Santos

Default Spanish Ancestors going back 3 generations

Hi, I know it says to apply for the Ancestry Visa the ancestor must go back only 2 years, but I have an ancestor on either side of my family - my great grandmother on my father's side is full blooded Spanish, making my living grandmother half Spanish. They have black and white pictures of her so I'm sure they have some records.

My great grandfather on my mother's side was full blooded, and my grandfather had very much a mixed-race appearance (gray eyes).

I'm wondering since I have 2, not 1 ancestor 3 generations back, making me 1/4 Spanish, would somehow make it possible to apply for the Ancestry Visa?

Hello Daryl

In order to qualify for citizenship based on having a Spanish ancestor, you would have needed to have a grandparent (either grandfather or grandmother) holding Spanish citizenship. Unfortunately great grandfathers don't count for this purpose.
    Marta Flores
    Legal Assistant at Lawbird
    Check My Profile