Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Filipino Wanting Spanish Citizenship

Dennis

Default Filipino applying for Spanish citizenship

Are Filipinos still entitled to apply for Spanish citizenship after having resided legally in Spain for two years? Has there been a change in the law on acquiring Spanish citizenship that affects filipinos in Spain.

Thanks.

Dennis de Guzman

Hello Dennis. There has been no change with regards to this.
    Marta Flores
    Legal Assistant at Lawbird
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Default Am I qualified to apply for Spanish Citizenship?

Hi everyone, my great grand mother was a Spanish woman who was married to a Filipino. That makes my grandmother half Spanish. Am I still qualified to apply for Spanish Citizenship and what are the papers I need to prove my affinity with my Spanish grand mother? I would also like to know if citizenship is impossible, would my Spanish lineage help me when I am applying for a Spanish tourist visa? Thank you very much : )
    This site has been very helpful and I'm hoping to hear from you guys.

Hello,

If your grandmother holds Spanish citizenship then you will be able to apply for Spanish citizenship either via residence (after a year of legal residence in Spain ) or via La Ley de Memoria Histórica, if you qualify for it. A tourist visa is granted by the Spanish authorities in your country of residence. The fact that you have Spanish ancestors can or not be taken into account when granting a visa. Other factors are certainly more important but nevertheless, it will not harm you to mention it.
    Marta Flores
    Check My Profile

rico

Can you kindly tell me how long it takes to process a citizenship application once a Filipino has completed the two year residence in Spain? Also is there a particular visa that a Filipino must have held during that two year period or will any visa (i.e. student visa) do?

Many thanks,

Rico

Hello Rico,

The processing time is around two years. Any type of work and/ or residence permit will be considered for this purpose except for the student visa.
    Marta Flores
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Default Member of EU

I´m a member of the EU and we had to wait TEN years. Then the paperwork takes another TWO years. We are almost there, after TWELVE years

Lightbulb Issue

Scenario: Philippine woman of Spanish ancestry (60% Spanish) entered Spain and stayed there with immigrant status for two years in the 1960s and returned to the Philippines. Her grandfather is a Spanish citizen, her great-grandfather is a Spanish friar. Is she eligible for Spanish citizenship without going to Spain? She has a son who is also interested in acquiring Spanish citizenship alongside his Thai citizenship. Is he also eligible?

Hello Petervhuey,

She would need to be in Spain; she cannot apply from the Philippines. She needs to live in Spain for one year if she wants to apply for citizenship due to her Spanish ancestry. Her residency during that year must be legal.
    Her son cannot apply for Spanish citizenship until his mother does not get it, as he is a Thai citizen ( and he would also have to acquire legal residency during one year ).

Usual ways to acquire legal residency are:

- Salaried Work and residence permit ( not recommended due to the current high unemployment rate )
    - Self employed work and residence permit: It allows to live and work in Spain by investing in a business and be a self employed individual; a business plan and a minimum investment of 80.000 Euros will be required.
    - Residency as being a relative to an EU citizen, in the event they have a family relationship with a EU citizen living in Spain ( spouse, children and/or parents )
    - Family reunion, if a non EU relative ( spouse, children and/or parents ) had legal residency in Spain.

Best Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

raypozas

Default How and what papers.

I have applied for spanish citizenship at the Spanish Consulate in the Philippines over a year and a half ago but was given a strange answer as to what i have to do. The lady in charge, a certain filipina by the name of Maravillosa told me i have to prove that my father renounced his spanish citizenship before i was born in order for me to apply. I said that was the stupidest thing i had ever heard because if he did that then when i was born he was not a spaniard anymore. She had first shown me an index card with my grandfathers name and my fathers on it. In the card it showed that my grandfather had entered the philippines in 1918 on what seemed to be some form of an I.D. card not a passport but that he was a spanish citizen and the second entry was next to my fathers name saying he was issued a passport right after the end of World War 2, 1945 or 46. At that time i said it should be ok already since both my grandfather and father were both spanish citizens but she gave me that answer that i have to prove that my farther renounced his citizenship. An odd thing was that the index card had only 2 entries but i know for a fact that my dads younger sister, my aunt , also had a passport of which i have a photocopies issued in 1958,1960 and 1963. So i wonder why my aunt's name does'nt appear in the index card.

The filipina lady is the only person you can approach in the consulate and she has the power to just refuse to deal with you. Is there any way to get to talk with a real spaniard in the philippine consulate? My grandfathers name was Ramon Lopez-Pozas, he was the son of a spanish general Jose Lopez-Pozas stationed in the Philippines during the late 1800's. There is a General Lopez-Pozas street in Madrid. My fathers name was also Jose. All civil recordas of my father and his sister were destroyed during the japanese occupation of the Philippines during World War 2.

Am at a loss as to what should my status be.