Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Filipino Wanting Spanish Citizenship

Default Filipino Canadian Applying for Spanish Citizanship

Hi Patricia. I am a natural born Filipino citizen (born in the Philippines to both Filipino parents) and a naturalized Canadian Citizen. I am living in Spain under the residencia no lucrativa. I have two questions:
    1. Can I study for a Master's degree in a Spanish University under the residencia no lucrativa or this is also prohibited?
    2. If I apply for Spanish citizenship once I meet the required 2 year residency period in Spain, will I need to renounce my Filipino Citizenship and my Canadian Citizenship?
    Thank you very much for your help.

Hello Callixtus,

You can certainly study in Spain. The Non Lucrative residence permit´s limitation is related to work issues; you cannot be a salaried or self-employd worker in Spain, as you residence permit does not include a work permit.

Regarding the second question, you will have to renounce the Canadian nationality, but not the Philippine one, as Spain recognizes Double Nationality to Philippone citizens.

Spain won´t recognize your Canadian nationality ( as you will have renounced it when sweraring the Spanish Nationality oaths ) regardless the fact the Canadian authorities allow you renew your passports and still consider you a Canadian national.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Hi! How would I be able to track down my great and great, great grandfathers' lineage? My mother told me that her aunts told her that VILLEN supposedly was their real last name instead of BELEN. My great or great, great grandfather was forced to changed it to Belen because Spaniards were hunted down at that period. Is there any way that I can trace back my lineage? Thanks!

Hello Jacquiline

The first step is to try and track down your origins by means of Civil registry birth certificates from your ancestors ( In the Philippines I suppose ). Once that you get to the Spanish origin´s ancestor, start consulting Spanish registries.

The National Library of Spain has very useful and interesting tools available for those ends at its ancestors´ locators tool:

http://www.bne.es/es/Micrositios/Gui...gia/index.html

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Default American citizen born in the Philippines

Hi-I have been an American citizen for 25+ years (renounced my Filipino citizenship). What paperwork do I need to get a hold of when applying for Spanish citizenship? Also can I keep my US citizenship? Do I have to provide work when fulfilling the two year residency or am I allowed to not hold a job but still can show savings that can financially support me for those two years?

Hello

For you ( as an US national ) to be eligible for the Spanish citizenship, you need to have resided in Spain for ten years in advance, holding a valid residence permit. Therefore the first step is to become a resident. If you could get back your Philippine nationality, the period will be reduced to two years instead of ten.

If you initially start being a resident without a work permit ( Non Lucrative residence permit ), you can either renew you permit as long as you still meet the same conditions, or you can also apply for a modification of the permit if you need to have a work permit along with the residence one. The requirements vary depending on whether you will be working as a salaried or self-employed worker.

Please note that the first renewal applies after the first year and once granted, it is valid for two additional years.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

1. I am from the Philippines.
    2. Do i still need to know how to speak Spanish and do i still need to understand Spanish in order to get Spanish citizenship via residency?
    3. Do i still need to know "constitutional and sociocultural knowledge" in order to get Spanish citizenship via residency?

Hello XT1000,

The answer is "yes" to both your questions.

You can check it here.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

Hello,
    I am from the Philippines and I want to apply for Spanish Citizenship. My great grandparents on grandmother's side are PENINSULARES and my grandmother (born 1890) is INSULARES. My great grandparents and grandfather (born 1885) are pure spaniards born and raised in Spain. They have not renounced their Spanish Citizenship. Their son, my father (born 1920) was born here in Manila. He never acquired Philippine Passport. I am in my 40's now and all of them are deceased. What are my chances of getting Spanish Citizenship by Origin? Thank You.
    Last edited by Miguel; 07-20-2018 at 04:06 AM.

Unregistered

Hello,

My grandfather's father may or may not be a Spanish citizen (born in Spain, although ethnically he is), is my father eligible to apply for a Spanish citizenship (through 2nd generation) if proven that his grandfather was indeed born in Spain? If so, what are the documents for it? What is the process and how long would it take?

And if that's not the case, what are my father's other options to get a Spanish citizenship?

Zara