Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Filipino Wanting Spanish Citizenship

I am Filipino and Canadian citizen. My family (3 young children) and spouse are wanting to move to Spain. I am interested in acquiring citizenship and am trying to figure out how to get a visa to get residency for 2 years. I have read some of the posts and I am curious about this non lucrative visa. I have a few questions regarding this:

1. Is it difficult to get? I have read that it requires proof that you are able to substantiate the ability to support 2000 Euros a month income for yourself and 500 Euros additional for each family member. Is this through a bank savings account, rental income, etc?

2. How difficult is it to extend this non lucrative visa to establish 2 years residency?

3. After 2 years of residency I have read on the posts that you can then apply for citizenship. It was also mentioned that the citizenship process may take 2 years post application. Is the applicant and their family required to reside in Spain even after they have applied for citizenship and have met the 2 year residency requirement? I am just worried that our savings may not last beyond 2 years and then if we are required to stay in Spain until the paper work is complete, we may be in financial hardship.

I appreciate your reply.

Bindy

Tiffany02

Default Filipina American moving to Spain

I was wondering if I qualified for the 2 year Spain citizenship. I was born in Saudi Arabia because my parents (who were/are Filipinos) were working there. We moved to the United States when I was 5 and I got automatically got naturalized when I was 17 when my parents became US citizens. I have an old Philippine passport, which has now expired and have a current US passport. I think I understand that once I became a US citizen, my Philippine citizenship got taken away? Do I need to obtain dual citizenship for both Philippines and USA before applying for Spain citizenship (would this be easier/less of a hassle)? Or can I apply with just showing proof of my Philippine passport?

Thank you so much, I appreciate your time!
    Tiffany

Hello Tiffany,

You need to show the Spanish Authorities that you are a Philippine citizen if you want to take advantage of the reduction of the residency requirements reagrding the Nationality applciaiton; I believe there is no Philippine/American dual citizenship.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Default Filipino with spanish lineage

My grandfather is a pure Spanish, but he was born in the Philippines, his parents were migrated from Spain to the Philippines.
    Will i be entitled to obtain the Spanish citizenship?

I appreciate your great assistance
    Thank you

Good Day! my grand father is pure spanish and went to the philippines and got married to my grand mother. my mom got her nationality around 2011. i am currently in kuwait working. is there any way i can apply or a spanish citizenship without going to spain and living there or a year as my family is here and i don't want to quit my job. currently my mom is gathering all the documents she used for her application before.

thank you in advance for any assitance you can give me.

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    My grandfather is a pure Spanish, but he was born in the Philippines, his parents were migrated from Spain to the Philippines.
    Will i be entitled to obtain the Spanish citizenship?

I appreciate your great assistance
    Thank you
    Hello Oscar,

If you are able to prove that your grandparents were Spanish by Origins; that is, they never lost their Spanish Nationality, even if born out of Spain, you will be able to take advantage of one of the assumptions of Citizenship by Residency application, that reduces the minimum residency requirement to one year. This means you could be eligible for the Spanish Nationality after one year of legal residency in Spain, in accordance with article 22.2.f of the Civil Code.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

I am a Filipino and my grandmother and her father was of Spanish citizen by origin. Can I apply for Spanish citizenship using my grandmother's lineage of Spanish by origin?

Dear Patricia

Thanks for answering my previous question..

I have few inquiries hope you bear answering it.

-Is the birth certificate of my grandfather considered a proof of his Spanish origin?
    -Where can i file my application? is it at Spanish consulate in manila or through an immigration services agency in Spain?
    -What are the documents i have to provide for my application, And the duration of processing?
    -Can my wife & daughter (my daughter is 29 years old) apply in the same application of mine, or they have to go through different process?

Thank you..

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    Dear Patricia

Thanks for answering my previous question..

I have few inquiries hope you bear answering it.

-Is the birth certificate of my grandfather considered a proof of his Spanish origin?
    -Where can i file my application? is it at Spanish consulate in manila or through an immigration services agency in Spain?
    -What are the documents i have to provide for my application, And the duration of processing?
    -Can my wife & daughter (my daughter is 29 years old) apply in the same application of mine, or they have to go through different process?

Thank you..
    Hello Oscar,

As I have mentioned in my previous e-mail, you need to become a Spanish resident before applying for the Spanish Nationality and actually be a resident for one year in order to be eligible. Therefore you cannot apply from the Philippines; you need to move to Spain and file the application at the corresponding Civil Registry of the town where you reside by then.

For you to prove your Spanish origins, you need your grandfather´s birth certificate that proves his parents were Spanish, as well as your father´s or mother´s birth certificate ( whoever is the child of your grandfather ). Did any of them ever hold Spanish Nationality?

Your wife and your son cannot apply for the Spanish Nationality based on yours; they will need to reside in Spain for two years to be eligible, providing they are both of Philippine Nationality.

Regarding the documentation and the process to apply for the Spanish Nationality based on Residency, you can find all the information here.

If you need information about obtaining a residence permit, we can also assist, so please feel free to contact us by email to check your profile so we can advise on the best route for your particular case.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

Hello!

I am a Filipino who acquired my Spanish nationality by virtue of my grandfather having been born in Spain. As such, my mother, brother, uncles and my cousins are Spanish citizens already.

What I am interested in is if I can apply for naturalization for my son. My naturalization was granted a year after my son was born. My son is now 4 years old. Can I apply for my son's Spanish citizenship?

Thank you.