Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filipino Wanting Spanish Citizenship

Hybrid View

Rodrigo

Default Filipino Wanting Spanish Citizenship

Hi, I am a Filipino of Spanish lineage. I have my grandfathers christian baptism record which indicates that he was born in the Philippines of a Spanish father. Will this qualify me to apply for spanish de origen citizenship? what are the guidelines and requirements?

The circumstances which allow you to apply for Spanish citizenship based on blood lineage, go back two generations. Therefore you would be able to opt for it if your father or grandfather had been a Spaniard of origin. If this chain is broken and only your great-grandfather was a Spaniard you will not be able to opt for it.
    Marta Flores
    Legal Assistant at Lawbird
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Default What re the required documents?

If my grandfather was a Spanish national who immigrated to the Philippines, what documents can I show in order to prove my Spanish lineage and, therefore, claim Spanish citizenship? Do I need to go back to Spain and request for his birth certificate?

Hi,

I enclose the same reply as I have just given someone else in another post:

First of all you need to find out in which year your grandfather left Spain and which were the reasons. This is important in order to determine whether you can opt for citizenship via' La Ley de Memoria Histórica' ( which will enable you to obtain Spanish citizenship without having to reside in Spain previously) or if you will need to reside in Spain for one year before you can claim it.
    Marta Flores
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    The circumstances which allow you to apply for Spanish citizenship based on blood lineage, go back two generations. Therefore you would be able to opt for it if your father or grandfather had been a Spaniard of origin. If this chain is broken and only your great-grandfather was a Spaniard you will not be able to opt for it.
    Hello, I just want to clarify this point... My grandmother was born in the Philippines but was considered a Spanish citizen. Her father came from Cadiz and her mother was Spanish-Filipina - and from my understanding, given her circumstances during that time, she was born a Spanish citizen (and she was only naturalised as a Filipina later on). Does this still break the chain?

Also, if you don't mind me asking in this forum (I can also send a private e-mail), what are the legal fees involved if I would like to avail of your services? I am currently living in Madrid and would like to start the process.

Many thanks in advance

Hello

The chain can be regarded as broken since your parents were Philippine nationals when you were born. This fact broke the “Spanish by origins” chain; notwithstanding, you still have the right —as the grandchild of a Spanish citizen— to apply for Spanish nationality after one year of legal residency in Spain.

If you wish to discuss your case further I invite you to contact us by email.

Regards,
    Last edited by Patricia; 10-18-2016 at 03:46 PM.
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Default Options for Spanish Citizenship

Hi,

I would like to know what are my options in applying for a Spanish Citizenship given the following circumstances:

1. I am currently in the 8th generation under a grandfather who was from Spain and came here in the Philippines
    2. Both my parents are from the same ancestor referred to above
    3. The only documentary proof I have of this lineage is the Genealogical Book published in 2004 showing this direct lineage.

I do hope to apply for a Spanish Citizenship.

Thank you

Hi

Unfortunately the ability to obtain Spanish citizenship only goes back two generations. So your grandfather should have been Spaniard in order for you to be able to opt for it.
    Marta Flores
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Default Options

Thank you for your response.

So what are our options as Filipinos wanting to apply for Spanish Citizenship?

As a Filipino you are entitled to apply for Spanish citizenship after having resided legally in Spain for two years.
    Marta Flores
    Check My Profile