Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Filipino Wanting Spanish Citizenship

Hello Gallardo,

Initially, your suggestion will work in terms if residency if you can access a student visa based on your Spanish College inscription. However, the residency period of student visa holders is not recognized for the residency requirement of the Nationality application( it was not long time ago, but no more )

After two years holding a residence status, that is not recognized to student visa holders, you will be able to apply for the Spanish Nationality. This means that while you hold a student residence card, you will have to look for a job and then modify your card to a salaried or self-employed work and residence permit and then apply for the Nationality after two years.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Hi. I am a Canadian citizen but my father is a Spanish Citizen and so is my grandfather.
    My dad passed away in 2011 and I would like to find out how we would go about applying for citizenship for my 2 brothers still living in the Philippines. They are both Filipino citizens. We have kept my dad's original passport and NSO birth certficate and my brothers also have their own NSO birth certificates. As he holds a spanish passport, does that mean my brothers are automatically illigible to apply for dual citizenship?
    My first cousins have all managed to get their Spanish passports through my uncle, my dad's brother who is also a Spanish Citizen and in saying so, my brother would like to apply for citizenship as well. What can you advise us?
    Thank you very much.

Unregistered

Default obtaining spanish citizenship

hi there,
    My mom is a spanish citizen she got her spanish passport before she died in march 2010,she got her spanish passport because my grandfather
    is a pure spanish from sevilla spain.My question is here how can i apply for spanish citizen im here in philippines and cherish to go to spain and eventually work and reside there.

Hello,

As your mother, I believe , was not born in Spain, even is she was Spanish before she died, you are still required to have legally resided in Spain for one year before you can be eligible for the Spanish Nationality based on your ancestry.

Once you have held a residence permit in Spain for one year, you can file the Nationality application at the corresponding Civil registry.

There are various ways to get a residence permit in Spain depending on your circumstances; I recommend you to do some research about the different types of permits and then take a decision depending on your eligibility.

Best Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Default Obtaining Residency Card

Hi Patricia,

I applied for a non-lucrative residence visa via my maternal grandmother who is a Spanish citizen through Ley de Memoria Historica. I understand that I would need to stay in Spain for only one year before applying for citizenship. My application was approved and I was given a Type D visa with a duration of 90 days.

I just want to clarify the following:

a. Is this the non-lucrative residence visa?

b. I was informed by the consulate in the Philippines that the processing for the residency card would be within my first three months in Spain. What documents are required? The Spanish Consulate only gave me back my passport with the stamped residency visa.

Your help on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bianca Michaela

Rye

Default 2 years include my student visa?

I already spent 1 year in spain as a student. I will have my revision of visa to be "working" this year. After one year more under my working visa, will i be able to apply for a citizenship? I am a Philippine passport holder.

Thanks

Dear Rye,

You will be able to opt for Spanish citizenship after having legally resided in Spain for two years. Any time spent as student does not count towards citizenship.
    Marta Flores
    Legal Assistant at Lawbird
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Default Acquisition of Spanish Nationality

Good day!

I am hoping you may have the answer to my question.

I have been in touch with the Spanish Embassy here in the Philippines, since my grandmother is a Spanish Citizen, we are able to acquire Spanish Nationality as well but we must reside in Spain for one year. And they said that our residency must be continuous.

I asked them if we may leave the country within that year and if so, how long? Sadly they have told me that they cannot provide me with that information. Since you have experience with such cases, would you know the answer to this? I would like to submit my application to the Spanish Civil Registry then take a course in the US for 3 months then return to Spain. Also, I would like to go the Philippines for a few weeks for holidays during the Christmas season. Would that still be considered as continuous residency?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Hi Patricia,

My great grandfather is a Spanish Citizen who went to the Philippines. He married a Filipina, who then gave birth to my grandmother. Does this make my grandmother a Spanish national by birth even if she was born in the Philippines?

Will this make me and my mother eligible for only one year of residency in Spain to be able to apply for Spanish nationality?

"Those whose father, mother, grandfather or grandmother were Spanish nationals by birth or residence."

Thank you!

Regards,
    Nadine
    Last edited by Nadine; 05-18-2015 at 10:32 AM.

Hello Nadine,

If your grandmother is alive and she can prove she was a Spanish citizen, then you can apply for the Spanish citizenship after one ONE year legal residency in Spain. I am concerned your grandmother may be unable to prove she is Spanish by origins. However, in your motherĀ“s case, the generation gap is smaller, so if she can prove her grandmother was Spanish, she can take advantage of the reduction.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile