Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Filipino Wanting Spanish Citizenship

Hi Patricia,

Everything is ok now. Had a meeting at the consulate to fix things and my daughter will be filling up some documents to apply for issuance of a passport. It took some time because of the schedule off my daughter in the university. Thank you for your help.

Muchas Gracias,

Raymond Lopez-Pozas

To Patricia,

Hope you could give me some answers. My mom (born in Philippines and grand-daughter of a Spanish born in Spain) was granted Spanish Citizenship through Law of Historical Memory. I understand that said law confers Spanish Citizenship "de Origen" thus I presume she is one. If she is Spanish de Origin, could she pass on to me Spanish Citizenship though I was already of age of majority when her name was registered in the Spanish Consulate in Manila?

Hello Vicente

As the son of a current Spanish citizen who was granted the Spanish Nationality based on the Historical Memory Law 57/2007, you are not entitled to Spanish Nationality right away, but You have the following options:

- Reside legally in Spain during one year. After that, you will be eligible for the Spanish Nationality by residence, as the son or grandson of a Spanish citizen.

- If your mother got the Spanish Nationality but she does not want to reside in Spain, her children are able to apply for Family Settlement, as your mother is considered a Spanish citizen by origins. Once being a resident, you apply for the Spanish Nationality after a year.

- If your mother wishes to reside in Spain, all her direct relatives ( children under 18, and spouse ) can apply for the residence card as relative of an EU citizen residing in Spain. Once being a resident, you apply for the Spanish Nationality after a year.

If you wish to learn more about the Spanish Nationality application and the documents required, click on the Ministry of Justice website link here.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Thank you so much, Patricia, for a prompt reply. Though it's sad I won't qualify for citizenship right away as I would like to preserve it for the succeeding generations of our family. It's kind of ironic that an adult adoptee of a Spaniard could do it easier than me who is a real flesh and blood of a Spanish de Origen.

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    The circumstances which allow you to apply for Spanish citizenship based on blood lineage, go back two generations. Therefore you would be able to opt for it if your father or grandfather had been a Spaniard of origin. If this chain is broken and only your great-grandfather was a Spaniard you will not be able to opt for it.
    Hello, I just want to clarify this point... My grandmother was born in the Philippines but was considered a Spanish citizen. Her father came from Cadiz and her mother was Spanish-Filipina - and from my understanding, given her circumstances during that time, she was born a Spanish citizen (and she was only naturalised as a Filipina later on). Does this still break the chain?

Also, if you don't mind me asking in this forum (I can also send a private e-mail), what are the legal fees involved if I would like to avail of your services? I am currently living in Madrid and would like to start the process.

Many thanks in advance

Hello

The chain can be regarded as broken since your parents were Philippine nationals when you were born. This fact broke the “Spanish by origins” chain; notwithstanding, you still have the right —as the grandchild of a Spanish citizen— to apply for Spanish nationality after one year of legal residency in Spain.

If you wish to discuss your case further I invite you to contact us by email.

Regards,
    Last edited by Patricia; 10-18-2016 at 03:46 PM.
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

SpanishStudent

Question Study in Spain and Visa Legalities

Hi All,

I will be studying in Spain for a Masters degree next year. I hold a Filipino Passport. While browsing I was informed that Filipino individuals can get a Spanish Citizenship for only two years.

Can I apply directly while arriving there(in Spain) since the length of stay for my schooling is a bit more than 2 years. Also, will I be able to acquire dual citizenship or are there other options to retain my Filipino Citizenship.

Thanks in advance

Hello Patricia,

Thanks for the great response about the question of San Diego and Emmett regarding Spanish citizenship for i am and my family are in similar situations, most of the questions that i have in mind are been answered with your expertise and i am learning a lot on this forum. keep up the good work.

Nathaniel

Unregistered

my father and both my siblings had been issued a spanish passport. how do i apply for one?

E. Urquiaga

Mr. Urquiaga

Please clarify the circumstances that led them to get a Spanish passport: where did they get it, if your siblings are under aged, where do they reside, etc.

Once we have that information, we understand the particular case and offer an answer.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile