View Full Version : Moving to spain

07-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi, me and some freinds are planing to move to some land in spain owned by one of my freinds fathers, my question is:

How long can we stay there without needing to apply for resedancy?
If there is a limit how soon can we come back after leaving?

we are planning to live fairly self sufficiently so work will not be a majour issue as we all have concearns back in the uk (we are all brittish citizens)

07-06-2009, 05:22 PM

If you spend more than three months in Spain you are obliged to request Spanish residency. On the other hand if you spend more than 183 days per year in Spain, you will become a fiscal resident and liable to declare your worldwide income in this country.

07-09-2009, 06:52 PM
thank you for your reply i was wondering if you could tell me also weather there is any point in applying for resedency if we are living in semi permenant structures (yurts , tipi's etc ,on land owned by my freinds father , we would be there with his permission.) and not have any income (we have been saving for a year or twos worth of living supplies untill we could get some sort of self sufficiency system up and running.

p.s by any point i mean in that situation would we just be point blank refused?

07-10-2009, 02:00 PM

I am afraid that you will not manage to register at the town hall if you reside in one of these semi permanent structures. Without being fully registered you will not be able to request residency.

07-11-2009, 01:17 AM
thank you for being so patient with me, I only have three last quetions.

would the situation be the same for fiscal resedency for spending over 183 dys in the country out of the year?


if we wanted to do this legaly we would have to leave every two and a half months is tha right?

could we obtain resedency if the land itself has an address (i think its got an old stone hut on it and a river that you have to pay river wardens for the right to draw water out of weather or not that means it has an address as a refrence im not sure) or get an address untill we have resedency?

07-15-2009, 03:30 PM
I am sorry but I don't understand your questions. The law is very clear on the matter. If you spend more than 183 days in Spain per year, then you will be fiscally resident, in the same way that if you spend more than three months then you will need to request residency. With regards to your last query I don't think that you will be able to register at the town hall using the address of a plot of land.

07-15-2009, 03:59 PM
I apologize for being unclear

I meant that if i leave the country every two and a bit months so that i dont have to apply for resedency (becase i am unable to regester in the town) will i also be unable to be fiscaly resident or do you automaticaly become fiscaly resident just by being there for over 183 days.

07-15-2009, 11:32 PM
also i forgot to mention the property has planning permission for a residence i dont know if that makes a difference.