PDA

View Full Version : Spaniard Becoming US Citizen

Unregistered
07-02-2009, 08:24 AM
I am a Spaniard now living in the USA and married to a US citizen. I have had a permanent resident card for the past three years. I can now opt to become a US citizen. I would want to remain a Spanish citizen if I also opted to become a US citizen. Is that possible? And are there any other downsides of becoming a US citizen?

Many thanks

Marta

Marta
07-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi Marta

As far as I know if you opt for US citizenship you will lose you Spanish citizenship. In principle the US is not one of the countries with which dual-citizenship is permitted. However please double check with your nearest Spanish consulate whether there have been any changes with regards to this.

Unregistered
09-17-2009, 12:25 AM
I am a US citizen and my husband is a Spaniard, he has had his permanent resident card for 2 years. We spoke with the Spanish consulate in San Francisco and inquired the same thing you are asking. We were told that "yes" you can retain your Spanish citizenship by filing a "Tramitacion del expediente de conservacion de la nacionalidad espanola segun la ley 36/2002". There are several documents that must be accompanied with your application. By contacting your local Spanish consulate they should be able to help you and provide you with the same information that they gave us.

Unregistered
12-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks for sending such a clear message. It gave me peace of mind before starting the paperwork