PDA

View Full Version : Spanish great-grand father

vyecheverria
05-07-2017, 06:48 AM
Hi all,

This is my situation.

My great-grandfather immigrated to the Philippines in the 1900's and married my Filipino great-grandmother.

My grandfather died in 2007, I don't know if he ever did anything to retain or conserve his Spanish citizenship. Does it get passed on automatically?

In that case does that make me a Spanish citizen by descent? Or do I have to prove my ancestry/heritage with documents?

Sincerely,

Vince

Patricia
05-12-2017, 02:53 PM
Hello Vince

You certainly need to prove your ancestry.

You would have to prove your great-grandfather never lost his nationality. If your grandfather was always a Filipino citizen you will have no chances to prove your father is Spanish ancestry.

Children of Spanish parents or grandparents are required one year previous legal residency in Span to be able to apply for the Spanish Nationality.

Regards,

jimclark
05-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Hello Vince

You certainly need to prove your ancestry.

You would have to prove your great-grandfather never lost his nationality. If your grandfather was always a Filipino citizen you will have no chances to prove your father is Spanish ancestry.

Children of Spanish parents or grandparents are required one year previous legal residency in Span to be able to apply for the Spanish Nationality.

Regards,

Only 1 year legal residency? I thought it was 3?

Patricia
05-16-2017, 03:53 PM
Hello Jim

It is one year.

You can read the information here (http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/Portal/es/ciudadanos/tramites-gestiones-personales/nacionalidad-residencia).

Regards,