PDA

View Full Version : Singaporean wanting a citizenship in Spain

emamsh
06-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Dear sir/madam....will the 1 year residency proof applicable for singaporean who is keen to get citizenship by marriage?

Marta
06-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Hi Emamsh,

Regardless of your nationality , marrying a Spaniard will enable you to request citizenship after having been married for a year. The other requirement being having resided legally in Spain for one year.

emamsh
06-08-2009, 09:36 PM
thank you so much on your kind response...that is very helpful.

1.Is marriage to a spaniard the only option to get a spanish citizenship?
2.How long the process takes to apply for a citizenship after married for a year and resided in Spain legally for a year in addition to that?

thank you so much

Marta
06-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi Emamsh,

You're welcome!

Marriage is certainly not the only path to requesting Spanish citizenship. You can also opt for it via residence. Providing you aren't a citizen of any of the Spanish ex-colonies, of Sephardic origin, born in Spain or have any Spanish ancestors, then the legal residence period required for Spanish citizenship is of ten years. On average the processing time is of two years.

emamsh
06-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Wow.....10 years is too long a wait......i guess the minimum waiting time will be 3years taking into consideration the residency starts counting from the time i got married?....is there any fast track to this process...? thank you so much on your kind response....regards emamsh

emamsh
06-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Wow.....10 years is too long a wait......i guess the minimum waiting time will be 3years taking into consideration the residency starts counting from the time i got married?....is there any fast track to this process...? thank you so much on your kind response....regards emamsh

sorry just to add ..... during the processing time of 2yrs do i still need to be a resident in Spain? do i need to clock the residency status?...could i travel for work overseas?

Marta
06-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Hi Emamsh,

The residence period starts counting from the moment in which you are granted your residence permit as 'familiar de residente comunitario' . Don't forget that it is the legal residence period which counts.

There is no fast track I am afraid. The processing time will depend on how busy the Spanish authorities are at the time in which you request it. Having the right and correct paperwork will certainly help speed up the process or at least not delay it.

Yes, we recommend that you reside in Spain during this process.The Spanish law states that in order to be resident in Spain you must spend in the country at least 183 days per year.

emamsh
06-10-2009, 06:52 PM
thank you so much on your promptness and helpful information......have a great week ahead....regards emamsh;)

Unregistered
06-13-2009, 08:38 AM
i was reading your post. so one year of residency means being in spain for 183 days? i am from the philippines and married to a spanish citizen. we are planing to buy a place in spain. to get a citizenship i was told i have to live in spain for a year. i just wanted to know if the one year has to be uninterupted or i can leave spain for short periods of time as long as i complete 183 days

Marta
06-16-2009, 10:41 AM
The law states that in order to opt for citizenship in your case, you will need to have had a legal and continued residence previous to the citizenship request. Therefore the year of residency will begin as soon as you have been granted your Tarjeta de Residencia Permanente de Familiar de Ciudadano de la Union Europea. To maintain this residence status you will need to spend in Spain at least 183 days per year. It is also true that amongst other requirements you will need to demonstrate good conduct as well sufficient level of integration in Spanish society. The different registries have different levels of demands so I would recommend you to check the exact requirements beforehand but overall to integrate and to spend as much time as you can in Spain.

Unregistered
06-17-2009, 06:21 AM
thank you so much for your help

Unregistered
06-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi,

If I have already applied a spanish nationality, and the processing time takes place up to 24 months. Is it possible to get married with a person from other european country, without loosing rights to get the spanish nationality. In other words, does a marrigage changes my residence of country to outside of spain, and if does, can I still get application processed for the spanish nationality.

Marta
06-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi,

You have not mentioned on what basis you are opting for Spanish citizenship. Is this via residence, marriage, blood-line or any other way? Please specify.

Unregistered
06-22-2009, 02:50 PM
I got married with spanish over 2 years ago. Now we are going to divorce.

Marta
06-22-2009, 03:40 PM
In this case you will probably not obtain your Spanish citizenship.

Unregistered
06-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Do you mean that I should not get divorced until the process is over?

Marta
06-24-2009, 03:51 PM
What I mean is that you are requesting Spanish citizenship based on marriage to a Spanish citizen. If you get divorced you no longer have the right to request it on this basis.

Unregistered
12-10-2009, 12:25 PM
hi i was cheated by one of the law firm of spain on visa matter on behalf of my clients,they refused to give my 2000 euros in return .it was 2 years before can any body help me .

ifv
12-11-2009, 04:35 PM
hi i was cheated by one of the law firm of spain on visa matter on behalf of my clients,they refused to give my 2000 euros in return .it was 2 years before can any body help me .

I'm afraid little can be done. I recommend that you contact your local police office, see if they have a Advance Fee Fraud unit.