PDA

View Full Version : Spanish nationality after 2 years for a dual US/Latin American citizen?

Cali
11-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Hello! I have a question, and I am really unable to find the answer to it anywhere. I am a dual U.S. and Mexican citizen, U.S. citizen through my father and via my birth in the U.S. and Mexican citizenship through my mother who was born in Mexico. I would like to apply for a visa non-lucrativa as a Mexican citizen, so that I can qualify for citizenship in 2 years. I am technically a natural-born Mexican because I was registered at the Mexican consulate as an adult and automatically received Mexican citizenship without going through any naturalization process. But my questions is this, am I considered to be a natural-born Mexican according to Spain (even if both of my passports show a U.S. city of birth)? Will I be able to be granted Spanish citizenship as a Mexican, thus qualifying after 2 years? Thank you very much!

Marta
11-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Hello,

The Spanish Civil Code ( article 22) states that a two year residence period will be required for those Latin American nationals who wish to request Spanish citizenship. It does not make any mention as to how and when this citizenship should have been acquired.