View Full Version : Spanish Citizenship with Puerto Rican Parents and Grandparents??

Gina Garcia
09-10-2012, 06:18 AM
Hello All,

I was born in the USA but both my parents are Puerto Rican, and so were all of my Grandparents. The only thing different about my case is that my Dad was born on the island in 1910, when not everyone had been sworn into the US citizenship yet. His parents had come to the island way before he was born and they were living in PR when it still was a Spanish colony before the US took over. They decided to stay in PR. My question is do I qualify for Spanish citizenship? I don't have any birth records for any of these family members because they were all born so long ago. My Dad's is maybe the only one I could go to PR and get. Please, any information would be very helpful. I'm residing in Miami, FL and I would be willing to go to the Consulate if necessary.

Thank you in advance!

Gina Garcia

09-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Hello Gina,

I first recommend you to check with the Spanish consulate the possibility to obtain proof of your father and grandparent´s Spanish nationality and determine if they ever lost it. In case you are able to trace it and obtain the corresponding birth certificates, you would be able to apply for Spanish nationality by origin ( if you were able to prove your grandparents were Spanish by origin as being born in Spain). If you could find evidence that your father was a Spanish, born out of Spain, you could only apply for citizenship after holding one year of legal residency in Spain. If you were a PR citizen ( you do not mention your nationality ), you would be able to apply for Spanish cˇitzenship after 2 years of legal residency in Spain, as citizens of Iberoamerican countries have that option in Spain.

There are various way of applying for a residence permit in Spain, such us self employed, salaried worker, or as a relative of a legal resident in Spain.

If you wish to discuss your particular case, please feel free to email me. ( click on my profile ).


06-14-2013, 03:22 AM
Hi Patricia-
I'm Puerto Rican and am trying to move to Spain. I'm looking for information
and came across your post.

Can you offer any advice regarding this? Can I just settle in Spain with my
tourist visa or do I need to do something at home first? I'm in Europe right
now and wasn't planning on going back to US. I appreciate any info as I'm
having problems locating info online.

Thanks so much!

06-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Hello someoneusa,

All initial residence permit applications must be applied for via the corresponding Spanish Embassy or Consular Office at your country of legal residence; this means that you would have to go back to the USA to file your residence application form, no matter if Non Lucrative, Salaried work and residence permit or as a self employed individual. It is not possible to apply from Spain while on a valid tourist visa; even less if the visa is expired.

The only way to apply from Spain is, in the event you remained in Spain for 3 years in an irregular situation, filing an exceptional circumstances residence permit application, by Settlement.


Anna Sophia
08-27-2014, 04:01 PM

I was born in Puerto Rico but my parents are from the Dominican Republic. I have US citizenship, but would like Spanish citizenship too. If I get a job teaching English in Spain for two years, can I then apply for dual nationality (US and Spain)? Thanks!

Anna Sophia

09-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Hello Anna

You will only be entitled to request Spanish citizenship after two years of legal residency in Spain, if you previously hold nationality from a Latin American country. Either PUerto Rico or Dominican Republic. Also note that dual nationality between the US and Spain is not allowed.

10-03-2014, 01:19 AM
Dual citizenship is allowed.