PDA

View Full Version : Reposession and Power of Attorney - Please Help!

csmarsh1
07-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Four years ago I bought a house near a town called Velez Rubio, Almeria for my father-in-law to live in. I gave him power of attorney to act on my behalf for the purchase of the property. I mortgaged the property with Banko Valencia.

Under the bank’s instructions my father-in-law and I both signed a rental agreement, and I have been paying the mortgage from the UK.

Everything was fine until this March when Santander Bank repossessed my business under non- payment of an Interest Rate Protection Contact / Hedge Fund Agreement. A claim is in against this, very hot topic in with the banks in the UK at the moment.

Anyway, I haven’t paid the mortgage since March and Banko Valencia are repossessing the property. My problem is that they are chasing my father-in-law for the mortgage arrears, and threatening to take him to court for any shortfall.

The house is in my name and the mortgage is in my name, just because my father-in-law had power of attorney, surely he is not liable for my mortgage arrears and shortfall.
Please help.

Many thanks
Colin Marsh