PDA

View Full Version : Spanish passport for american citizen

futureexpat
03-14-2012, 08:43 PM
I am an American citizen born in Spain to American parents. My father was in the military and stationed there.

My partner has been asked if she would be interested in taking a job at one of the European offices for the company she works for. The offices currently in the running are London, Paris, and Madrid. Since we are not, and cannot get legally married in the US, I am looking for alternate ways for me to possibly go over there legally.

I had read that because I was born in Spain, that I can get a Spanish passport. Would this allow me to live/work legally anywhere in the EU or just Spain? I am trying to figure all of this stuff out before we make a decision.

Thanks!

Marta
03-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Hello Future expat,

You mention about your partner, about not being married and also about the impossibility of getting married. You don't mention your partners nationality or if you currently are or can register as a common law partnership. These points are very important, as a union to an EU citizen or even a family regrouping permit is easier to obtain that a standard new application.

Secondly you mention that you were born in Spain. In this case the Spanish civil code states that after one year of legal residency in Spain you will be able to opt for Spanish citizenship. This processing time is around two years. Once holding your Spanish citizenship you will be able to work anywhere in the EU.

futureexpat
03-21-2012, 09:29 PM
My partner is an American citizen. In the state we live in (Georgia), there are absolutely no civil unions/common law partnerships (in fact they have laws against gay marriage). We have been together for almost 11 years and have things like a bank account and a mortgage together. We could go to state that allows marriage (such as New York), but being married in the states that allow it mean you are only legal in those particular states. Those unions are not recognized anywhere else.

We would probably not be living in Spain so I can't opt for residency there. Chances are, we would be living in London.

I know that as a person born in Spain, I can get a Spanish passport. I just have to go to the nearest embassy (in Texas) and apply.

I need to know if my having a Spanish passport (not being a full fledged citizen) would allow me to work legally in the UK (or anywhere else in EU for that matter).

Hello Future expat,

You mention about your partner, about not being married and also about the impossibility of getting married. You don't mention your partners nationality or if you currently are or can register as a common law partnership. These points are very important, as a union to an EU citizen or even a family regrouping permit is easier to obtain that a standard new application.

Secondly you mention that you were born in Spain. In this case the Spanish civil code states that after one year of legal residency in Spain you will be able to opt for Spanish citizenship. This processing time is around two years. Once holding your Spanish citizenship you will be able to work anywhere in the EU.

Marta
03-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Hello,

Thank you for the explanation. It has helped me understand your situation.

With a Spanish passport you will be able to work anywhere in Europe. However, you will not be able to acquire Spanish citizenship unless you previously reside in Spain legally for one year. Thsi is stated in our civil code.