PDA

View Full Version : Common law partner or marriage

Ramy
09-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Dear All,

I am Egyptian Lives in Dubai and planning to move to spain with my Girl Friend so i need to know is it possible to apply for the common law partner and if yes what is the requirments or we have to get married?

Thanks,
Ramy

Patricia
09-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Hello Ramy,

You do not mention if your girlfriend is an European citizen, as this would simplify the process and allow you to apply for residency right after the marriage. As a non EU citizen, you will need a residence permit to live in Spain, regardless of your marital status.

In case you are determined to formalize your relationship by means of marriage or common law partnership, the corresponding Town hall will require that you hold a legal status in Spain at the time of the marriage. Considering that there are various official documents you will have to submit before getting a date for the celebration, and that this will take time, you will have to make sure that your visa to stay in Spain has not expired. Also, you will need to be registered at the town hall prior to the marriage/Common Law Partnership application.

Best Regards,

Ramy
09-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Hi patricia,

Thanks a lot for your reply,

My Girl friend is Spanish and she lives in Madird right now and i live in Dubai, I can get only 30 days visit Visa and i dont know if it will be enough to finish all the proccess or not, Can i still go thru all the process after my visa get expire?. Is it Legable for me to apply for common law partner or not. Si it easier to get married in the spanish consulate in Dubai? And what is the documents needed for both of us?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Ramy

Unregistered
09-26-2011, 02:08 PM
from my experienced is not neccessisary that you are legal here to get married as long as you have a legal documents passport etc. i get married last year and my residenced card was expired 2 yrs. ago...but they still allow me to get married...now i got my libro de familia y certificado matrimonio literal. thats you all need to process your papers here.

Ramy
09-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Hi,

Thanks for you reply, How long the process take to finish everything?

Unregistered
09-28-2011, 09:34 AM
hi ramy,
it depends if you submit all the papers corrrectly example b.certificate, certificate of singleness etc.. should be translated to spanish.....to register the marriage is only a month to wait for the libro de familia y certificado de matrimonio...

Patricia
09-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi patricia,

Thanks a lot for your reply,

My Girl friend is Spanish and she lives in Madird right now and i live in Dubai, I can get only 30 days visit Visa and i dont know if it will be enough to finish all the proccess or not, Can i still go thru all the process after my visa get expire?. Is it Legable for me to apply for common law partner or not. Si it easier to get married in the spanish consulate in Dubai? And what is the documents needed for both of us?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Ramy

Hello Ramy,

The best option for you is to get married at the Spanish embassy in Dubai as they will register the marriage consular inscription at the Civil Registry (Registro Civil ) and it will be quite easy for your to get the required documents for the residence card as an EU relative application once in Spain. Common Law partnerships are still not very clear for immigration purposes, and the required documentation is very similar ( birth certificates, marital status certificates, translated and legalized by the Spanish Embassy). That type of formalization is usually processed when the couple is an already legal resident in Spain.

While you prepare your documentation in Dubai, your girlfriend can do the same in Spain, so once you are on your 30 or 90 days visa, all is already in place in Spain. There are documents to be legalized at the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Madrid, and the fact that your girlfriend is in Madrid can accelerate the process.

Once you have formalized your relationship and have settled in Spain, you can apply for the residence card as a relative to an EU citizen and, after one year, apply for Spanish citizenship, if you wish.

We offer those services at Lawbird, so please let me know if you need information in relation to any of them.

Best Regards,

Ramy
10-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi Patricia,

Thanks for the details.

Lawbird is helping in the marriage process or just after ?

Thanks,
Ramy

Patricia
10-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Hello Ramy,

We offer legal assistance once the marriage has taken place and it has been registered at the Civil Registry.

Best Regards,