View Full Version : Residence after marriage

10-24-2010, 04:12 PM

I am not from EU and am married to a Spaniard in August this year while im holding a visa student visa (NIE) that has to be renewed every year. I understand that I cannot apply for citizenship/ Spanish nationality in 1 year and my question is, how can I apply for the residence permit?

When I have the residence permit, does it allow me to work legally in Spain?

Thanks for answering in advance!

10-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Hola! You will need to apply for your ‘tarjeta de residencia de familiar comunitario’. Once you have this permit you will be able to work in Spain and also to start counting towards the one year of residence required in order to become a Spanish citizen.

11-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Hi Marta,

Thanks for your answer. I'm preparing the required documents and the form EX-16 before going to the extranjeria. Now, I have two more questions:

1- As you said, after obtaining the residence, it allows me to work in Spain but I have read that I will need to choose between a residency only permit and a residency and work permit, is it true?

2- I travel to EU and non-EU countries quite often and my question is, should I also apply for the "authorizacion de regreso" while waiting for the official residence card?

Thanks in advance Marta!