PDA

View Full Version : money owed to an estate

Unregistered
07-12-2010, 09:06 PM
I owed my parents a sum of money and they understood that I was not in the position to repay. I have three other siblings, we are in the will as all equals to be split four ways. I understand that the money I owed my parents will be taken out of my portion of the inheritance (per the will- set up this way) My parents wanted to make it fair for everyone.

This is my question. If I owed them $4000. I should only have $3000 taken out of my portion of the inheritance. Is this correct since one fourth of it would have been willed to me anyway and the other portions would go to my siblings since I already received that portion. So if I were to get 10,000 the amount would be reduced to 7000. Is this correct any help would be appreciated

Thanks

ifv
07-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Your calculations might make sense, but it's all up to what your parents and the rest of the heirs agreed. Note that to be completely fair, perhaps you should add to these 4000 € the interests accrued.

I note that you are talking in US Dollars. Perhaps your question is related to law in the US and not Spain.

Regards