PDA

View Full Version : Copied NIE number

jharris
05-09-2010, 10:23 AM
My bank has frozen my account as they have been informed that my NIE number is being used by another person. We both have what appears to be the correct paper work. Help!:eek:

Lawbird Lawyer
05-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Dear Sir or Madam,

Someone may be using your NIE Number fraudulently. It wouldn't be the first time.

I would advice you to take the matter with the Police Station where you applied for it.

Yours faithfully,
Raymundo LarraĆ*n Nesbitt

Marta
05-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Hello JHarris,

This is rather strange. All NIE number certificates are registered and printed out at the national police stations via a computerized system. Every individual is assigned a NIE number and even if it expires, the number you are assigned will be yours for life. Are you sure the bank haven't asked you instead for a 'Certificado de no Residente' (certificate of non residence)? This is a common reason for freezing bank accounts. It sounds silly but language is sometimes a barrier for bank employees and it may be a cause of misunderstandings. If they insist on this you will need to check with your nearest national police station as it may well be as my colleague has pointed out, a fraud.