View Full Version : US womanand my two US kids to marry Spanish boyfriend

03-06-2010, 01:03 AM
My children and I live in the US. I have a Spanish boyfriend/not father of children. We will be coming to Spain this summer to get married and live there. What is the protocol? Do I get married in the first 90 days of my tourist visa in Spain? After we are married do I have to return to the states to finish paperwork/ apply for residency or can I stay in Spain and residency is granted to me and my children right away once I marry? I need to get my children their NIE numbers so I can enroll them in school in September. How long before September do you recommend we get married so we have the numbers in time for enrollment.:o

09-24-2010, 01:47 PM

I know this reply is a bit late for you, however it may help others.

You can apply for your residence card as a relative to an EU citizen right away after your marriage. The application is submitted personally at the Oficina de Extranjeros corresponding to your town of residence. You should be in a legal status when getting married in Spain. The NIE numbers are granted to the children on the same day their applications have been accepted by the Oficina de Extranjeros. In fact, one of the requested documents is the paid tax receipt of the fees of the NIE processing.