View Full Version : Born in Spain...signed away Spanish Citizenship...want it back

03-03-2010, 04:20 PM
I was born in Spain (in a Spanish hospital), my father was in the US military stationed in Spain. I have my Spanish birth certificate, and I have my US naturalization papers. Since I was born in a Spanish hospital, I was not granted US citizenship by birth and my parents had to have me naturalized in the US. When I was 14 we moved back to Spain (again military posting for my father) and the US DOD made me sign a paper renouncing my Spanish Citzenship. I would like to reclaim that Spanish Citizenship...is that possible and what steps would I need to take. I currently reside in the US but would like to move back to Spain and get a job there.

09-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Hello Dallas,

Yes, you are able to apply to recover your Spanish nationality by origin, however, you are requested to have been legally residing in Spain for one year, prior to the application.