PDA

View Full Version : Filipino Wanting Spanish Citizenship

Rodrigo
02-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi, I am a Filipino of Spanish lineage. I have my grandfathers christian baptism record which indicates that he was born in the Philippines of a Spanish father. Will this qualify me to apply for spanish de origen citizenship? what are the guidelines and requirements?

Marta
02-23-2010, 04:26 PM
The circumstances which allow you to apply for Spanish citizenship based on blood lineage, go back two generations. Therefore you would be able to opt for it if your father or grandfather had been a Spaniard of origin. If this chain is broken and only your great-grandfather was a Spaniard you will not be able to opt for it.

Unregistered
03-05-2010, 01:02 AM
If my grandfather was a Spanish national who immigrated to the Philippines, what documents can I show in order to prove my Spanish lineage and, therefore, claim Spanish citizenship? Do I need to go back to Spain and request for his birth certificate?

Marta
03-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi,

I enclose the same reply as I have just given someone else in another post:

First of all you need to find out in which year your grandfather left Spain and which were the reasons. This is important in order to determine whether you can opt for citizenship via' La Ley de Memoria Histórica' ( which will enable you to obtain Spanish citizenship without having to reside in Spain previously) or if you will need to reside in Spain for one year before you can claim it.

Unregistered
05-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi,

I would like to know what are my options in applying for a Spanish Citizenship given the following circumstances:

1. I am currently in the 8th generation under a grandfather who was from Spain and came here in the Philippines
2. Both my parents are from the same ancestor referred to above
3. The only documentary proof I have of this lineage is the Genealogical Book published in 2004 showing this direct lineage.

I do hope to apply for a Spanish Citizenship.

Thank you

Marta
05-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Hi

Unfortunately the ability to obtain Spanish citizenship only goes back two generations. So your grandfather should have been Spaniard in order for you to be able to opt for it.

Unregistered
05-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Thank you for your response.

So what are our options as Filipinos wanting to apply for Spanish Citizenship?

Marta
05-06-2010, 08:15 PM
As a Filipino you are entitled to apply for Spanish citizenship after having resided legally in Spain for two years.

Unregistered
05-12-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm a Filipina and I just got married to a spanish national. We want to know what are the process and the requirements for me so I could live and work also in Spain with mu husband.

I am an IT professional from a Multi-national company here in the Philippines that also has an office in Spain. But we are thinking that maybe it will be best if we process my documents as his wife, not as an employer of our company.

Can you please help us?

Patricia
09-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Yes, we can certainly help you. You need to apply for a Tarjeta de residencia de familiar no comunitario de ciudadano de la Union. That is, Residence card of non EU relative of an EU citizen. This residence card allows you to live and work for 5 years. After that time, you will be entitled to apply for permanent residency.

Regards,

Dennis
09-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Are Filipinos still entitled to apply for Spanish citizenship after having resided legally in Spain for two years? Has there been a change in the law on acquiring Spanish citizenship that affects filipinos in Spain.

Thanks.

Dennis de Guzman

Marta
09-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Hello Dennis. There has been no change with regards to this.

Unregistered
07-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi everyone, my great grand mother was a Spanish woman who was married to a Filipino. That makes my grandmother half Spanish. Am I still qualified to apply for Spanish Citizenship and what are the papers I need to prove my affinity with my Spanish grand mother? I would also like to know if citizenship is impossible, would my Spanish lineage help me when I am applying for a Spanish tourist visa? Thank you very much : )
This site has been very helpful and I'm hoping to hear from you guys.

Marta
07-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Hello,

If your grandmother holds Spanish citizenship then you will be able to apply for Spanish citizenship either via residence (after a year of legal residence in Spain ) or via La Ley de Memoria Histórica, if you qualify for it. A tourist visa is granted by the Spanish authorities in your country of residence. The fact that you have Spanish ancestors can or not be taken into account when granting a visa. Other factors are certainly more important but nevertheless, it will not harm you to mention it.

rico
08-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Can you kindly tell me how long it takes to process a citizenship application once a Filipino has completed the two year residence in Spain? Also is there a particular visa that a Filipino must have held during that two year period or will any visa (i.e. student visa) do?

Many thanks,

Rico

Marta
08-25-2011, 08:47 AM
Hello Rico,

The processing time is around two years. Any type of work and/ or residence permit will be considered for this purpose except for the student visa.

Unregistered
08-29-2011, 10:38 AM
I´m a member of the EU and we had to wait TEN years. Then the paperwork takes another TWO years. We are almost there, after TWELVE years

petervhuey
09-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Scenario: Philippine woman of Spanish ancestry (60% Spanish) entered Spain and stayed there with immigrant status for two years in the 1960s and returned to the Philippines. Her grandfather is a Spanish citizen, her great-grandfather is a Spanish friar. Is she eligible for Spanish citizenship without going to Spain? She has a son who is also interested in acquiring Spanish citizenship alongside his Thai citizenship. Is he also eligible?

Patricia
09-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Hello Petervhuey,

She would need to be in Spain; she cannot apply from the Philippines. She needs to live in Spain for one year if she wants to apply for citizenship due to her Spanish ancestry. Her residency during that year must be legal.
Her son cannot apply for Spanish citizenship until his mother does not get it, as he is a Thai citizen ( and he would also have to acquire legal residency during one year ).

Usual ways to acquire legal residency are:

- Salaried Work and residence permit ( not recommended due to the current high unemployment rate )
- Self employed work and residence permit: It allows to live and work in Spain by investing in a business and be a self employed individual; a business plan and a minimum investment of 80.000 Euros will be required.
- Residency as being a relative to an EU citizen, in the event they have a family relationship with a EU citizen living in Spain ( spouse, children and/or parents )
- Family reunion, if a non EU relative ( spouse, children and/or parents ) had legal residency in Spain.

Best Regards,

raypozas
11-04-2011, 04:08 PM
I have applied for spanish citizenship at the Spanish Consulate in the Philippines over a year and a half ago but was given a strange answer as to what i have to do. The lady in charge, a certain filipina by the name of Maravillosa told me i have to prove that my father renounced his spanish citizenship before i was born in order for me to apply. I said that was the stupidest thing i had ever heard because if he did that then when i was born he was not a spaniard anymore. She had first shown me an index card with my grandfathers name and my fathers on it. In the card it showed that my grandfather had entered the philippines in 1918 on what seemed to be some form of an I.D. card not a passport but that he was a spanish citizen and the second entry was next to my fathers name saying he was issued a passport right after the end of World War 2, 1945 or 46. At that time i said it should be ok already since both my grandfather and father were both spanish citizens but she gave me that answer that i have to prove that my farther renounced his citizenship. An odd thing was that the index card had only 2 entries but i know for a fact that my dads younger sister, my aunt , also had a passport of which i have a photocopies issued in 1958,1960 and 1963. So i wonder why my aunt's name does'nt appear in the index card.

The filipina lady is the only person you can approach in the consulate and she has the power to just refuse to deal with you. Is there any way to get to talk with a real spaniard in the philippine consulate? My grandfathers name was Ramon Lopez-Pozas, he was the son of a spanish general Jose Lopez-Pozas stationed in the Philippines during the late 1800's. There is a General Lopez-Pozas street in Madrid. My fathers name was also Jose. All civil recordas of my father and his sister were destroyed during the japanese occupation of the Philippines during World War 2.

Am at a loss as to what should my status be.

popo
11-14-2011, 04:06 PM
hi! my bf applied for a spanish citizenship.its not yet release.i would like to ask if he can petition me since we are not married and he is already separated to her filipina wife.thanks

Unregistered
11-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Hello Rico,

The processing time is around two years. Any type of work and/ or residence permit will be considered for this purpose except for the student visa.

Hi Marta,

On the 2 years processing time - is this from the date you first submitted your documents?

I submitted my documents in 2009. Six months after, I was asked to take the exam. Twelve months later more or less, I received my numero de expediente. And six months ago (18 months after I first submitted my documents), they asked me to submit updated documents.

This month, it has been 2 years. When I checked the status online, this is what I got: El expediente ha tenido entrada en esta Subdirección General con fecha 04/10/2010. Está pendiente de informes solicitados con fecha 05/10/2010. what does this mean? Two years from 2010?

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

raypozas
11-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi Marta,

My grandfather, Ramon Lopez-Pozas was Spanish, born in the Philippines to a spanish general( he has a street in Madrid named after him General Lopez-Pozas) who was in charge of the province of Cebu when Spain held the Philippines. He left the Philippines with his father when Spain ceded control to the United States. He came back to the Philippines in 1918 with some people from Tabacalera company which was a tabacco company. He then married my grandmother and bore my father, Jose Thomas Lopez-Pozas and my aunt, Ma Carmen Thomas Lopez-Pozas. Last year i went to the Spanish embassy hoping to apply for spanish citizenshiip but was told by a filipina in charge of applicants that i had to have proof that my father renounced his spanish citizenship before i was born in 1951 in order for that to happen. She showed me a card file that showed that my grandfather had entered the Philippines in 1918 with a certain document(tarjeta not a passport) but that he was a spanish citizen. The card also had my fathers name on it with a passport number which was issued in 1946 right after world war 2 (most documents-birth certificates,marriage certificates were destroyed during the second world war). I told that what she said did not make any sense. If my father renounced his citizenship before i was born then i was not a spanish citizen. She said 'basta' which infuriated me and i asked if i could talk to anyone else and she said no so i left since it was useless( the consulate where we met puts too much power in this woman). Could you clarify this for me? I also have a brother and two sisters.The elder sister and i are both listed as spanish citizens in our birth certificates although we were never registered with the Spanish embassy. My grandfather passed away in 1960.

Unregistered
12-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Hi Marta,

On the 2 years processing time - is this from the date you first submitted your documents?

I submitted my documents in 2009. Six months after, I was asked to take the exam. Twelve months later more or less, I received my numero de expediente. And six months ago (18 months after I first submitted my documents), they asked me to submit updated documents.

This month, it has been 2 years. When I checked the status online, this is what I got: El expediente ha tenido entrada en esta Subdirección General con fecha 04/10/2010. Está pendiente de informes solicitados con fecha 05/10/2010. what does this mean? Two years from 2010?

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Any thoughts on this please. Thank you.

yeye
01-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Hi,
Our family is trying to find out if we can apply for Spanish citizenship. We found naturalization papers of my grandfather (my mother's father) renouncing his Spanish Citizenship to Filipino. Are we still eligible to apply?
Thanks

Patricia
01-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Hello Yeye,

As a grandchild of a individual that was Spanish a national, you could apply for Spanish nationality after one year of legal residence in Spain, as established in the Spanish Civil Code, (Article 22.2.f ).

If you had found those documents earlier you could have applied for Spanish citizenship based on the Ley de Memoria Historica. The citizenship application due to this Law could be filed by those individuals that were born of Spanish parents or grandparents that had to renounce to their nationality for political reasons during the CIvil War; they had to prove their ancestors had left the country between the 18th of July of 1936 and the 31st of December of 1955; otherwise, they could not be considered a refugee and Spanish exiled. However, the deadline to apply based on this Law expired on the 27th December 2011.

As a Filipino, you can also apply for Spanish nationality after two years of legal residency in Spain.

Best Regards,

mojosing
02-03-2012, 01:19 PM
How easy is it for a Filipino to get Spanish residency/work permit? We had an employee in Singapore but we couldn't get her a visa when we moved to Greece for a contract job, We do however have a house in Spain, so was wondering how easy it would be to get her there, back in our employ and then from Spain we can apply for a uk visa for her after we've been together again for one year, when we then could all move back to the UK?
Thanks

Patricia
02-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Hello Mojosing,

The only way that your philipinne employee can apply for legal residency in Spain consodering she has no other roots in Spain is by a salaried work and residence permit, though unfortunately, housework employees are not currently demanded as per the immigration office queaterly list of profession of difficult cover, and thefore those types of permits are not currently being granted.

In the event your employee had family relationships with Spanish or EU citizens living in Spain, she could then be able to apply for residency via a different type of residence permit application.

Regards,

Rona
03-11-2012, 01:56 PM
I was born in Spain of Filipino parents. I had spent my first seven years in Spain. I was brought here in the Philippines when I was a kid by my parents and was not able to get back since then. Now, I am thinking of applying for Spanish citizenship.

Will I be able to gain Spanish citizenship?
What are the steps I should take and requirements I need for me to gain Spanish citizenship?

Patricia
03-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Hello Rona,

I would like to have further details of your case, before confirming my advice. When you were born in Spain, did you get any type of Spanish document, a National ID number, NIE, libro de Familia, or some type of residence card?; what was the status of your parents in Spain during those 7 years? When were you born and in which province? This is relevant information for you case.

Generally speaking, you can actually apply for Spanish citizenship based on the fact that you are a Philippine national, though you will need to be a legal resident in Spain for 2 years before applying for the said citizenship.

Please feel free to email me on Patricia at Lawbird.com if you wish to discuss your case further.

Best Regards,

Rona
03-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Hello Patricia,

I appreciate your reply..

Well, all I know is that the only document I have is my birth certificate.. I don't think we have any other documents.. I will still have to ask my father.. .I was born October 03, 1987 in Madrid.. My parents did not apply for citizenship while we we're there..

Hope to hear from you.. I will get back to you with more info..

Thanks,
Rona

Patricia
03-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Hi Rona,

In that case, you would have to be a legal resident in Spain for 2 years before qualifying for Spanish citizenship. Legal residency has to be proven for the last two years before applying for citizenship, so those 7 years you lived in Spain do not count.

The fact of being born in Spain does not grant citizenship right away, unless one of your parents was a Spanish national at the time.

Regards,

Unregistered
03-19-2012, 12:20 PM
My grandmother was legally Spanish, Macaria Izon born in Bataan in the Philippines in 1860, her daughter, Culaza was also Spanish born in Bataan in the Philippines in 1896. In 1916, my grandmother Rosario was born. My father Catalino was the son of Rosario and he was registered with a mother who is Spanish at his birth. Am I a Spaniard? However, my birth was never registered as Spanish at the Spanish Consulate until the Ley Memoria Historica was passed by the Spanish Government.

Patricia
03-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Hello,

Your nationality I believe is now Phillipine,as well as your father´s as you do not mention that he was registered as a Spanish national.

If your grandmother was a Spanish citizen, you are able to apply for the Spanish nationality after one year of legal residence in Spain. In any case, Phillipine citizens can apply for the Spanish citizenship after two years of legal residence in Spain.

The Spanish nationality is not granted just based on the fact the you have Spanish ancestry; you are required to be born in Spain to Spanish parents in order to qualify for Spanish citizenship by origin.

Please note that it is no longer possible to apply for Spanish nationality based on the Ley de Memoria Historica, as the deadline to file applications expired end of 2011.

Best Regards,

Pintxo
10-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Hello, I am a Filipino living in Canada. My Father was a Spanish National born in the Philippines. My Grandfather (Father's Father) was a Spanish National that moved to the Philippines during the early 1930's. Date unknown. I would like to claim my Spanish Nationality. Am I eligible to do so with out having to do the residency for 1 year. I am Spanish am I not?

Unregistered
10-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Hello. I'd like to ask, how does one avail of Spanish citizenship? Only my great grandmother was originally from Spain. Is it possible for my dad to get his citizenship and therefore (through my dad) his children become Spanish citizens? What are the requirements?

Any advice or person with contact details I can talk to regarding this will be appreciated.

Patricia
10-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Hello,

You need to find out if the Spanish nationality was lost somewhere in the family line, either by virtue of adopting another nationality or by renouncing. Once you can confirm that your father is still a Spanish citizen by origin and he registers as such, you will be able to apply for Spanish nationality by origin.

I recommend you to make an enquiry at the closest Spanish embassy and they will let you know how to find out that information through the Civil Registry. In the meantime you can check the Spanish Ministry of Justice´s Website, nationality section (http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/es/1215198282620/EstructuraOrganica.html) where you will be able to read very useful information about the requirements and process.

If you wish to discuss your particular case in detail, please feel free to e-mail me ( click on my profile ).

Regards,

Hannah
11-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Hi I just want to inquire regarding on how can I bring my husband to be here in london with me. We're planning to get married next year and is it possible I can bring him with me as soon as possible after our marriage? What are the requirements he'll need to obtain the resident card or visa? Is there any new rules now on how can I carry him as an EEA family? Thank you for your response.

Daryl De Los Santos
11-28-2012, 05:48 AM
Hi, I know it says to apply for the Ancestry Visa the ancestor must go back only 2 years, but I have an ancestor on either side of my family - my great grandmother on my father's side is full blooded Spanish, making my living grandmother half Spanish. They have black and white pictures of her so I'm sure they have some records.

My great grandfather on my mother's side was full blooded, and my grandfather had very much a mixed-race appearance (gray eyes).

I'm wondering since I have 2, not 1 ancestor 3 generations back, making me 1/4 Spanish, would somehow make it possible to apply for the Ancestry Visa?

Marta
12-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Hello Daryl

In order to qualify for citizenship based on having a Spanish ancestor, you would have needed to have a grandparent (either grandfather or grandmother) holding Spanish citizenship. Unfortunately great grandfathers don't count for this purpose.

Patricia
12-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Hello Hannah,

I believe that question must be asked in a British Immigration Law forum, as this one is only related to Immigrating to Spain.

Regards,

Unregistered
01-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Hello Dennis. There has been no change with regards to this.
Hi!
I´m a Filipina and a resident of Spain for 2 years now. May I know the requirements, how long is the processing and lastly, do I have to master the Spanish language before qualifying the Spanish Citizenship? Thank you in advance and hope to hear from you soon!

Best regards,
Dinah

Aleksandar
02-11-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm greatfull cause of this site, my future Filipina wife will be happy, cause her grandfather was Spanish.
I might say,it's such shame that Spain lost influence on Philipinese, cause Spain has much better culture than USA.

jtrbarnaiz
06-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Hi! I'm new to this forum, and would like to know if anyone can help enlighten me with regards the requirements, documents, and procedure in applying for dual citizenship (Spanish & Filipino).

Both my grandparents (father's side) are Spanish, with my grandmother being born in Spain. My father and his siblings were already granted dual citizenship in 2012 without their having to reside in Spain for any period of time by using my paternal grandmother's papers. I would like to know if I can apply for dual citizenship based on my grandmother's (and now my father's) papers as well? Would I need to reside in Spain for any amount of time to get my citizenship? How do I go about my application, and what documents are needed?

Really hope you guys can help me! Thanks! :)

Unregistered
06-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Hi,

I am also a Filipino citizen that has been living in Spain for almost the past year on a non-lucrative residency card. I have two questions:

1. What is the process for renewing my non-lucrative residency? Do I have to repeat the entire process to get a new non-lucrative visa as I did initially (including apostilles, FBI records, etc)? Or is it a simple renewal process at the Oficina de Extranjeros? What documents are required for this process?

2. Does living in Spain for two years under the non-lucrative residency qualify for/satisfy the residency requirement for citizenship?

Thanks in advance! I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Antonio

Unregistered
07-09-2013, 10:21 AM
patricia, i am same position as poster above. you have advice on issue?

rhylle.gomez
07-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Hello.
First of all I am so glad that I was able to find this website. It did gave me some information that I need.
Also, I do have some specific queries. Hope you can help.

I am from the Philippines. My spanish boyfriend and I are planning to get Married in Spain. I have read some other information(requirements) over the internet but I want to confirm it here.

1.Since I am not Spanish national (non-Eu citizen), Am I required to live in Spain for 2 years before we get married or this is only required for my Spanish boyfriend (that he should be at least a resident in Spain for 2 years)?
Another requirement that I have read over the internet is this thing called "Empadronamiento(Census)". Can I apply or register for this while I am visiting my boyfriend in Spain and I am just using a tourist visa?

2.For example, if we are already married then I go back here in the Philippines and I'll stay here let say for 2 months then I am planning to go back again in Spain, do I still need to apply for a tourist visa (if for example my tourist visa is already expired)? or not at all since I am already married to my spanish boyfriend?

3.Also, say for example again if we are already married, am I allowed to apply directly for the so called "Tarjeta de residencia de familiar no comunitario de ciudadano de la Union" or "Residence card"?
Once I have already the Residence card(which allows me to live and work for 5 years) My question on this is that, Is it also possible for me to live and work to another European countries (Schengen countries?)

Thank you in advance for you help.
Looking forward to hear from you soon!

Patricia
08-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Hello jtrbarnaiz,

Please accept my apologies for not replying earlier.

Yes, you can certainly apply for dual citizenship based on the fact that your grandparents are Spanish, however, you will be required to reside in Spain for at least one year in a regular situation. I believe your father was granted Spanish nationality because he was a Spanish citizen by origins, that is, son of a Spanish citizen born in Spain and therefore the residency requirement was not applicable. In your case, as your father has been granted nationality after you being of legal age, you are required to live in Spain for one year before being granted the possibility to apply for your Spanish nationality.

You can check this information at the Ministry of Justice website, nationality section (http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/es/1215198282620/Estructura_P/1215198291413/Detalle.html).

Regards,

Patricia
09-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Hi,

I am also a Filipino citizen that has been living in Spain for almost the past year on a non-lucrative residency card. I have two questions:

1. What is the process for renewing my non-lucrative residency? Do I have to repeat the entire process to get a new non-lucrative visa as I did initially (including apostilles, FBI records, etc)? Or is it a simple renewal process at the Oficina de Extranjeros? What documents are required for this process?

2. Does living in Spain for two years under the non-lucrative residency qualify for/satisfy the residency requirement for citizenship?

Antonio

Hello Antonio,

You do not have to go through the whole process again, as you are a resident in Spain already. However, you will have to gather again documentation to prove you still have the same financial situation that allows you live in Spain without the need to work as well as fresh certificate of empadronamiento and copy of rental or purchase contract. You will also need to provide with a copy of medical insurance card.

An advantage also is that the renewal application can be filed by administrative post or by Internet, no personal appearance at the Immigration Office is required.

The two years of legal residency ( Non Lucrative residency in your case ), will certainly count toward the nationality application.

Please contact us by email if you need further information.

Regards,

Unregistered
09-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Good day!

I would just like to make a couple of inquiries :

1. My grandmother is a spanish immigrant who is currently living in the philippines, am can I apply for Spanish citizenship?
2. If so, what are the requirements when you apply for Spanish citizenship?

emettdc
10-15-2013, 08:33 PM
I am planning to do what Antonio has done here, i.e. get a non-lucrative visa and reside in Spain for 2 years to meet the 2-year residency requirement for Spanish citizenship. I have some follow-up questions:

1. I have dual citizenship, US and Philippines, with Philippines as my original country of birth and original nationality. Am I still qualified to apply for Spanish nationality under the 2-year residency requirements for Filipinos, despite my US citizenship?

2. What proof do I have to submit for this 2-year residency requirement? Once I get to Spain with my Non-Lucrative (NL) Visa, do I have to register to get some sort of Spanish residency ID and this will be the proof? Or stamp in my passport that I have arrived and using the NL visa is sufficient?

3. Aside from 2-year residency requirement, are there other requirements for Spanish citizenship? Like
a. Passing Spanish proficiency test?
b. Passing written exam about Spanish history?
c. Having certain amount in the bank?
d. Is there an age limit to apply for Spanish nationality? (am 53 now).
e. Etc.

4. I read that it will take at least 2 years to process the Spanish citizenship application. Is this right? So with the 2-year residency requirement plus the 2 years of citizenship processing, it will take 4 years before I get my Spanish citizenship? If so, can I shorten this by applying for citizenhsip after 1 year of residency since by the time they finish processing the application, I will surely have met the 2 years of residency requirement.

Thank you.

Emett

Hello Antonio,

You do not have to go through the whole process again, as you are a resident in Spain already. However, you will have to gather again documentation to prove you still have the same financial situation that allows you live in Spain without the need to work as well as fresh certificate of empadronamiento and copy of rental or purchase contract. You will also need to provide with a copy of medical insurance card.

An advantage also is that the renewal application can be filed by administrative post or by Internet, no personal appearance at the Immigration Office is required.

The two years of legal residency ( Non Lucrative residency in your case ), will certainly count toward the nationality application.

Please contact us by email if you need further information.

Regards,

emettdc
10-15-2013, 09:26 PM
I am hoping this msg will reach Antonio as I would like to get in touch with him to find out his experience of having an Non-Lucrative Visa. Kindly contact me. Thank you.

Hi,

Antonio

PeJa
12-22-2013, 05:41 PM
12-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Me and my father recently got our Spanish passport in spanish embassy in the philippines, as my grand father is a spanish.
I'm working here in Dubai and using my filipino passport for the working visa. As they are not allowing dual citizens, i am not sure if I can use my spanish passport from dubai to spain. If i resign and go from manila to spain, do I need to pay anything on philippine immigration? do i need to apply dual citizenship or is it automatically given?

PeJa

San Diego
12-24-2013, 01:21 AM
I am planning to do what Antonio has done here, i.e. get a non-lucrative visa and reside in Spain for 2 years to meet the 2-year residency requirement for Spanish citizenship. I have some follow-up questions:

1. I have dual citizenship, US and Philippines, with Philippines as my original country of birth and original nationality. Am I still qualified to apply for Spanish nationality under the 2-year residency requirements for Filipinos, despite my US citizenship?

2. What proof do I have to submit for this 2-year residency requirement? Once I get to Spain with my Non-Lucrative (NL) Visa, do I have to register to get some sort of Spanish residency ID and this will be the proof? Or stamp in my passport that I have arrived and using the NL visa is sufficient?

3. Aside from 2-year residency requirement, are there other requirements for Spanish citizenship? Like
a. Passing Spanish proficiency test?
b. Passing written exam about Spanish history?
c. Having certain amount in the bank?
d. Is there an age limit to apply for Spanish nationality? (am 53 now).
e. Etc.

4. I read that it will take at least 2 years to process the Spanish citizenship application. Is this right? So with the 2-year residency requirement plus the 2 years of citizenship processing, it will take 4 years before I get my Spanish citizenship? If so, can I shorten this by applying for citizenhsip after 1 year of residency since by the time they finish processing the application, I will surely have met the 2 years of residency requirement.

Thank you.

Emett

I'm in the exact same situation as you Emett! I will be watching closely and hopefully you'll get a good answer. I gave up my filipino citizenship when i naturalized in the US. I'm wondering if I need to reacquire it before getting my non-lucrative visa in Spain. Good luck!

Patricia
12-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Hello San Diego and Emmettdc,

As long as the Philippine Passport is valid, you can use the Philippine nationality to apply for the Spanish citizenship, regardless the fact you used the US passport to apply for Spanish residency and the reason for this is that you are Philippine by origins. San Diego, if there is the possibility for you to recover your Philippine nationality you could consider it if your intention is to eventually become a Spanish citizen.

Once you become a Spanish resident; that is, you get your residence visa stamped on your passport to enter Spain, you are allowed 3 months to apply for the residence card at the corresponding Police Station of the province where you are settling. That card will prove you are a resident, but you will have to respect the 185 days per year in Spain and Schengen area to be able to keep that status. After 2 years you must file the renewal application for two additional years, and the documentation required will be the one that proves your financial situation remains the same as when you initially applied.

You do not need to pass a Spanish language and History exam when you file your Spanish citizenship application but you will be interviewed about your profile, current financial and personal situation and time you have spent in Spain. Additionally, you will be asked questions related to contemporary Spanish culture and events, as well as names of Spanish Popular People ( Monarchy, Politics, Culture, Celebrities, etc ). There is no age limit to apply for the Spanish Nationality.

The Nationality application can take about two years to be resolved after its application but this time cannot be reduced as you are not eligible until you have completed two years of legal residency in Spain; that is, two years since your residence card has been issued. If you apply after one year of legal residency your application will be turned down as you are not eligible at that moment.

Regards,

Patricia
12-24-2013, 01:46 PM
12-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Me and my father recently got our Spanish passport in spanish embassy in the philippines, as my grand father is a spanish.
I'm working here in Dubai and using my filipino passport for the working visa. As they are not allowing dual citizens, i am not sure if I can use my spanish passport from dubai to spain. If i resign and go from manila to spain, do I need to pay anything on philippine immigration? do i need to apply dual citizenship or is it automatically given?

PeJa

Hello Peja,

You can certainly use your Spanish passport to travel to Spain if you already have it. However, if your concern is related to the Dubai authorities allowing you use the Spanish passport, it is a matter that has to be clarified by them and I cannot help you as I do not have that information. I recommend you to contact the Spanish embassy in Abu Dhabi as I am quite sure they will have a reply to all your questions regarding this matter.

With regards to Immigration fees charged by Philippine authorities, it is something I cannot help with as I am unaware of Philippine Immigration Law. Dual citizenship Philippine/ Spanish is allowed by Spanish Law; it is granted automatically as you are not required to give up ur Philippine nationality.

I hope this answer has been helpful.

Best Regards,

Ella813
12-30-2013, 01:09 AM
Hi. I'm a Filipina and my fiance is a Filipino but spanish citizen. We want to get married in Madrid, Spain. Is it possible? Do I need to be in spain the whole process? (From registration to the civil registry). Approximately how many months it will take before we can get married?

Patricia
12-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Hello Ella,

You can certainly travel to Spain and get married there with your partner while on a short stay visa, though be aware that getting the authorization to get married may take a few months, depending on the town and province where you will marry. You will be asked to visit the Civil Registry for an interview within a month after you file the marriage application, so you may have to travel to Spain twice before you get married. Normally, the authorities are flexible with foreigners that are processing a marriage application but this is not a norm, so we recommend you to be on a valid visa.

I recommend you to read this article: Getting Married In Spain: General Overview and Legal Issues For Foreigners In Irregular Situation (http://belegal.com/wordpress/getting-married-in-spain-general-overview-and-legal-issues-for-foreigners-in-irregular-situation/). It will help you understand the procedure and timings.

Regards,

robzdb
01-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Hi, I am not sure about this but due to the treaty of paris my great great grandparents renounced their spanish citizenship by staying in the Philippines. Is it still possible for us to obtain Spanish Citizenship?

Patricia
01-23-2014, 03:17 PM
Hello Robzdb,

If you have evidence of your parents renouncing the Spanish nationality, you won´t be considered of Spanish originis. You are fourth generation to the right seems to be lost. However, if you are a philippine national , you can be eligible for the Spanish nationality after two years of legal residency in Spain. If you need further assistance, please contact us by email.

Regards,

bindy
01-28-2014, 02:20 PM
I am Filipino and Canadian citizen. My family (3 young children) and spouse are wanting to move to Spain. I am interested in acquiring citizenship and am trying to figure out how to get a visa to get residency for 2 years. I have read some of the posts and I am curious about this non lucrative visa. I have a few questions regarding this:

1. Is it difficult to get? I have read that it requires proof that you are able to substantiate the ability to support 2000 Euros a month income for yourself and 500 Euros additional for each family member. Is this through a bank savings account, rental income, etc?

2. How difficult is it to extend this non lucrative visa to establish 2 years residency?

3. After 2 years of residency I have read on the posts that you can then apply for citizenship. It was also mentioned that the citizenship process may take 2 years post application. Is the applicant and their family required to reside in Spain even after they have applied for citizenship and have met the 2 year residency requirement? I am just worried that our savings may not last beyond 2 years and then if we are required to stay in Spain until the paper work is complete, we may be in financial hardship.

I appreciate your reply.

Bindy

Tiffany02
01-31-2014, 05:15 AM
I was wondering if I qualified for the 2 year Spain citizenship. I was born in Saudi Arabia because my parents (who were/are Filipinos) were working there. We moved to the United States when I was 5 and I got automatically got naturalized when I was 17 when my parents became US citizens. I have an old Philippine passport, which has now expired and have a current US passport. I think I understand that once I became a US citizen, my Philippine citizenship got taken away? Do I need to obtain dual citizenship for both Philippines and USA before applying for Spain citizenship (would this be easier/less of a hassle)? Or can I apply with just showing proof of my Philippine passport?

Thank you so much, I appreciate your time!
Tiffany

Patricia
02-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Hello Tiffany,

You need to show the Spanish Authorities that you are a Philippine citizen if you want to take advantage of the reduction of the residency requirements reagrding the Nationality applciaiton; I believe there is no Philippine/American dual citizenship.

Regards,

oscar
02-10-2014, 11:40 PM
My grandfather is a pure Spanish, but he was born in the Philippines, his parents were migrated from Spain to the Philippines.
Will i be entitled to obtain the Spanish citizenship?

I appreciate your great assistance
Thank you

evan
02-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Good Day! my grand father is pure spanish and went to the philippines and got married to my grand mother. my mom got her nationality around 2011. i am currently in kuwait working. is there any way i can apply or a spanish citizenship without going to spain and living there or a year as my family is here and i don't want to quit my job. currently my mom is gathering all the documents she used for her application before.

thank you in advance for any assitance you can give me.

Patricia
02-17-2014, 12:29 PM
My grandfather is a pure Spanish, but he was born in the Philippines, his parents were migrated from Spain to the Philippines.
Will i be entitled to obtain the Spanish citizenship?

I appreciate your great assistance
Thank you

Hello Oscar,

If you are able to prove that your grandparents were Spanish by Origins; that is, they never lost their Spanish Nationality, even if born out of Spain, you will be able to take advantage of one of the assumptions of Citizenship by Residency application, that reduces the minimum residency requirement to one year. This means you could be eligible for the Spanish Nationality after one year of legal residency in Spain, in accordance with article 22.2.f of the Civil Code (http://civil.udg.es/normacivil/estatal/persona/PF/L36-02.htm).

Regards,

Doroteo
02-17-2014, 05:19 PM
I am a Filipino and my grandmother and her father was of Spanish citizen by origin. Can I apply for Spanish citizenship using my grandmother's lineage of Spanish by origin?

oscar
02-18-2014, 12:28 AM
Dear Patricia

Thanks for answering my previous question..

I have few inquiries hope you bear answering it.

-Is the birth certificate of my grandfather considered a proof of his Spanish origin?
-Where can i file my application? is it at Spanish consulate in manila or through an immigration services agency in Spain?
-What are the documents i have to provide for my application, And the duration of processing?
-Can my wife & daughter (my daughter is 29 years old) apply in the same application of mine, or they have to go through different process?

Thank you..

Patricia
02-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Dear Patricia

Thanks for answering my previous question..

I have few inquiries hope you bear answering it.

-Is the birth certificate of my grandfather considered a proof of his Spanish origin?
-Where can i file my application? is it at Spanish consulate in manila or through an immigration services agency in Spain?
-What are the documents i have to provide for my application, And the duration of processing?
-Can my wife & daughter (my daughter is 29 years old) apply in the same application of mine, or they have to go through different process?

Thank you..

Hello Oscar,

As I have mentioned in my previous e-mail, you need to become a Spanish resident before applying for the Spanish Nationality and actually be a resident for one year in order to be eligible. Therefore you cannot apply from the Philippines; you need to move to Spain and file the application at the corresponding Civil Registry of the town where you reside by then.

For you to prove your Spanish origins, you need your grandfather´s birth certificate that proves his parents were Spanish, as well as your father´s or mother´s birth certificate ( whoever is the child of your grandfather ). Did any of them ever hold Spanish Nationality?

Your wife and your son cannot apply for the Spanish Nationality based on yours; they will need to reside in Spain for two years to be eligible, providing they are both of Philippine Nationality.

Regarding the documentation and the process to apply for the Spanish Nationality based on Residency, you can find all the information here (http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/es/1215198282620/Estructura_P/1215198291413/Detalle.html).

If you need information about obtaining a residence permit, we can also assist, so please feel free to contact us by email to check your profile so we can advise on the best route for your particular case.

Regards,

palkmae
02-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Hello!

I am a Filipino who acquired my Spanish nationality by virtue of my grandfather having been born in Spain. As such, my mother, brother, uncles and my cousins are Spanish citizens already.

What I am interested in is if I can apply for naturalization for my son. My naturalization was granted a year after my son was born. My son is now 4 years old. Can I apply for my son's Spanish citizenship?

Thank you.

Patricia
02-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Hello Palkmae,

Yes, sure.

You can file the Nationality application for your son, by option, at any time once you have got the Spanish passport in hand.

Regards,

Unregistered
03-28-2014, 04:32 AM
I am a Filipino citizen, but I live in US for almost 10yrs now. I was wondering if I can apply for dual citizen for both Philippines and Spain. what are the requirements that I need to gather and can I apply here in Consulate of Spain here in US (specifically CA)?

Patricia
04-01-2014, 02:31 PM
Hello,

For you to be eligible for dual citizenship you need to have held a residence permit in Spain for at least two years prior to filing the application. Only after that you can apply for the Spanish Nationality.

The application will then be filed at the corresponding Local Civil Registry, in Spain.

Regards,

bindy
04-13-2014, 12:42 PM
I am a filipino living in Canada. I have dual citizenship. Can I apply for a non lucrative visa to Spain as a Filipino from Canada or do i have to apply from the Philippines?

Unregistered
04-15-2014, 02:26 AM
Greetings,

My name is Mik I have a somewhat complicated case. My mother formalized her Spanish nationality last year so now she and my grandmother has spanish birth certificates. I on the other hand am already 32 years old. May I opt to be a spanish citizen because I was not given a chance to do so when I was 18 due to the fact that my mothers citizenship was not yet formalized by then? Also I read in article 24 that if you are born in the philippines it is not enough for the loss of spanish nationality, if I have understood it correctly then my mother should not have lost her spanish nationality. And I was born of a spanish parent. I hope you could give me some advice on this. Thank you

-Mik

Patricia
04-16-2014, 10:24 AM
I am a filipino living in Canada. I have dual citizenship. Can I apply for a non lucrative visa to Spain as a Filipino from Canada or do i have to apply from the Philippines?

Hello Bindy,

You can certainly apply for the Non Lucrative residence permit, and the place where the application needs to be filed is at the corresponding Spanish Consular office of the country where you are a resident right now, that is Canada.

If you wish to have further information about the application process, please feel free to contact us by e-mail.

Regards,

Patricia
04-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Greetings,

My name is Mik I have a somewhat complicated case. My mother formalized her Spanish nationality last year so now she and my grandmother has spanish birth certificates. I on the other hand am already 32 years old. May I opt to be a spanish citizen because I was not given a chance to do so when I was 18 due to the fact that my mothers citizenship was not yet formalized by then? Also I read in article 24 that if you are born in the philippines it is not enough for the loss of spanish nationality, if I have understood it correctly then my mother should not have lost her spanish nationality. And I was born of a spanish parent. I hope you could give me some advice on this. Thank you

-Mik
Dear Mik,

If your mother has been granted the Spanish Nationality by Origins, this means that has never lost it, so you could be in a position to apply for it, as you are also considered of Spanish origins.

It all depends on what grounds your mother has been granted the Spanish Nationality.

There is an age limitation for those who lost their opportunity to apply by option, that is 20 years old.

If you cannot take this option, you can then apply after one year of legal residency, as your mother and grandmother are Spanish Nationals.

You can find the exact information here (http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/es/1215198282620/EstructuraOrganica.html).

Regards,

Gallardo
05-05-2014, 01:03 AM
Hi Patricia

I am interested in acquaring spanish citizenship by residing in Spain for two years. But the thing is I am still a student with no job. I am studying here in Cyprus with a student visa. My mother lives here as she was married to a cypriot. I want to live here but theres no other way if you are not a citizen here. So maybe if I become a spanish citizen I can enter Cyprus without visa since it is a member of EU. What procedures do I need to follow and options I have. I am 20. Thank you in advance!

Patricia
05-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Hello Gallardo,

Before you take the decision to apply for a residence permit in Spain, you need to have a clear idea of your residency plans in Spain, so you can check if you are eligible for any of the immigration programs available.

There are options for students, in the event he/she joins in an official education program, ( university Degree, Masterd Decree, Specialization, Investigation, etc ). Also, there are options for Investors and business people interested in setting up a business in Spain, or those workers that are demanded in Spain at the moment, that are related to the Ship/Maritime Indistry, Sportspeople and Doctors. The Situation is quite complicated for workers from other sectors, as there are no job offers, and if there are, the Spanish residents have priority.

Also, there is the option to apply for a work permit if you get a job offer from an overseas company that is in need of workers to carry out a service in Spain during a limited period of time. A temporary transfer work permit is granted in those cases.

Please feel free to contact us once you have an idea of your residency plans and we will give you a more detailed advice.

Regards,

Gallardo
05-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Hello Gallardo,

Before you take the decision to apply for a residence permit in Spain, you need to have a clear idea of your residency plans in Spain, so you can check if you are eligible for any of the immigration programs available.

There are options for students, in the event he/she joins in an official education program, ( university Degree, Masterd Decree, Specialization, Investigation, etc ). Also, there are options for Investors and business people interested in setting up a business in Spain, or those workers that are demanded in Spain at the moment, that are related to the Ship/Maritime Indistry, Sportspeople and Doctors. The Situation is quite complicated for workers from other sectors, as there are no job offers, and if there are, the Spanish residents have priority.

Also, there is the option to apply for a work permit if you get a job offer from an overseas company that is in need of workers to carry out a service in Spain during a limited period of time. A temporary transfer work permit is granted in those cases.

Please feel free to contact us once you have an idea of your residency plans and we will give you a more detailed advice.

Regards,

Hi Patricia

Actually I haven't planned anything yet as I have just discovered this Spanish citizenship thing recently. I still need to talk to my parents about this but I know they will approve my idea. But I am thinking maybe I can enroll in a College in Spain and find a cheap flat. Will that work?

Patricia
05-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Hello Gallardo,

Initially, your suggestion will work in terms if residency if you can access a student visa based on your Spanish College inscription. However, the residency period of student visa holders is not recognized for the residency requirement of the Nationality application( it was not long time ago, but no more )

After two years holding a residence status, that is not recognized to student visa holders, you will be able to apply for the Spanish Nationality. This means that while you hold a student residence card, you will have to look for a job and then modify your card to a salaried or self-employed work and residence permit and then apply for the Nationality after two years.

Regards,

comillas
05-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Hi. I am a Canadian citizen but my father is a Spanish Citizen and so is my grandfather.
My dad passed away in 2011 and I would like to find out how we would go about applying for citizenship for my 2 brothers still living in the Philippines. They are both Filipino citizens. We have kept my dad's original passport and NSO birth certficate and my brothers also have their own NSO birth certificates. As he holds a spanish passport, does that mean my brothers are automatically illigible to apply for dual citizenship?
My first cousins have all managed to get their Spanish passports through my uncle, my dad's brother who is also a Spanish Citizen and in saying so, my brother would like to apply for citizenship as well. What can you advise us?
Thank you very much.

Unregistered
07-07-2014, 02:46 PM
hi there,
My mom is a spanish citizen she got her spanish passport before she died in march 2010,she got her spanish passport because my grandfather
is a pure spanish from sevilla spain.My question is here how can i apply for spanish citizen im here in philippines and cherish to go to spain and eventually work and reside there.

Patricia
07-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Hello,

As your mother, I believe , was not born in Spain, even is she was Spanish before she died, you are still required to have legally resided in Spain for one year before you can be eligible for the Spanish Nationality based on your ancestry.

Once you have held a residence permit in Spain for one year, you can file the Nationality application at the corresponding Civil registry.

There are various ways to get a residence permit in Spain depending on your circumstances; I recommend you to do some research about the different types of permits and then take a decision depending on your eligibility.

Best Regards,

Unregistered
08-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Hi Patricia,

I applied for a non-lucrative residence visa via my maternal grandmother who is a Spanish citizen through Ley de Memoria Historica. I understand that I would need to stay in Spain for only one year before applying for citizenship. My application was approved and I was given a Type D visa with a duration of 90 days.

I just want to clarify the following:

a. Is this the non-lucrative residence visa?

b. I was informed by the consulate in the Philippines that the processing for the residency card would be within my first three months in Spain. What documents are required? The Spanish Consulate only gave me back my passport with the stamped residency visa.

Your help on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bianca Michaela

Rye
08-17-2014, 09:51 PM
I already spent 1 year in spain as a student. I will have my revision of visa to be "working" this year. After one year more under my working visa, will i be able to apply for a citizenship? I am a Philippine passport holder.

Thanks

Marta
08-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Dear Rye,

You will be able to opt for Spanish citizenship after having legally resided in Spain for two years. Any time spent as student does not count towards citizenship.

Unregistered
11-18-2014, 10:34 AM
Good day!

I am hoping you may have the answer to my question.

I have been in touch with the Spanish Embassy here in the Philippines, since my grandmother is a Spanish Citizen, we are able to acquire Spanish Nationality as well but we must reside in Spain for one year. And they said that our residency must be continuous.

I asked them if we may leave the country within that year and if so, how long? Sadly they have told me that they cannot provide me with that information. Since you have experience with such cases, would you know the answer to this? I would like to submit my application to the Spanish Civil Registry then take a course in the US for 3 months then return to Spain. Also, I would like to go the Philippines for a few weeks for holidays during the Christmas season. Would that still be considered as continuous residency?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Nadine
05-18-2015, 05:52 AM
Hi Patricia,

My great grandfather is a Spanish Citizen who went to the Philippines. He married a Filipina, who then gave birth to my grandmother. Does this make my grandmother a Spanish national by birth even if she was born in the Philippines?

Will this make me and my mother eligible for only one year of residency in Spain to be able to apply for Spanish nationality?

"Those whose father, mother, grandfather or grandmother were Spanish nationals by birth or residence."

Thank you!

Regards,
Nadine

Patricia
05-18-2015, 01:28 PM
Hello Nadine,

If your grandmother is alive and she can prove she was a Spanish citizen, then you can apply for the Spanish citizenship after one ONE year legal residency in Spain. I am concerned your grandmother may be unable to prove she is Spanish by origins. However, in your mother´s case, the generation gap is smaller, so if she can prove her grandmother was Spanish, she can take advantage of the reduction.

Regards,

Unregistered
06-18-2015, 06:48 AM
hi patricia

we are are applying for non lucrative visa together with my wife and 2 yr old son,we are just worried if we can get a visa,basically we have our all documents ready,bank account and money...how long it will take to get the result in non lucrative visa? we have an appointment on june 30 2015 in spanish embassy manila philippines...we have our own house ing malaga spain..do you think we can get the visa or not?were just worried..

thank you

Aron

Unregistered
06-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Hi Patricia,

I applied for a non-lucrative residence visa via my maternal grandmother who is a Spanish citizen through Ley de Memoria Historica. I understand that I would need to stay in Spain for only one year before applying for citizenship. My application was approved and I was given a Type D visa with a duration of 90 days.

I just want to clarify the following:

a. Is this the non-lucrative residence visa?

b. I was informed by the consulate in the Philippines that the processing for the residency card would be within my first three months in Spain. What documents are required? The Spanish Consulate only gave me back my passport with the stamped residency visa.

Your help on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bianca Michaela

hi bianca,

quick question,how long it will take to recived your visa? and what kind of question are they gona ask in embassy in manila,im am filipino citizen,my wife and i and my 2 yrs old son are applying for non lucrative visa..
we have funds in bank and property in spain..

thank you

Unregistered
06-20-2015, 12:37 PM
hi bianca,

quick question,how long it will take to recived your visa? and what kind of question are they gona ask in embassy in manila,im am filipino citizen,my wife and i and my 2 yrs old son are applying for non lucrative visa..

thank you

thank you sorry i forgot to put my name on it..

Aron

pumpkid
06-22-2015, 10:30 AM

thank you sorry i forgot to put my name on it..

Aron

Hi aaron,

i am too in your case as i applied for Resident (petition) my father is a spanish citizen with spanish passport. I also have my appointment on the 1st of july but it seems that there are problems in my application i am not sure what is tho..

I am applying to obtain my Spanish citizenship by obtaining a resident visa and reside in spain for 1 year.
I have completed my requirements however, someone has mentioned that the petitioner which is my fathers needs to be in SPAIN in order for me to be approved the residency permit i would like to know how true this is? my father is old and cannot travel..

Can i just go on live in spain even if my father resides here in PH? and obtain my spanish citizenship?

Hoping for your response.. desperately

thank you

Unregistered
06-23-2015, 04:03 PM
Hi aaron,

i am too in your case as i applied for Resident (petition) my father is a spanish citizen with spanish passport. I also have my appointment on the 1st of july but it seems that there are problems in my application i am not sure what is tho..

I am applying to obtain my Spanish citizenship by obtaining a resident visa and reside in spain for 1 year.
I have completed my requirements however, someone has mentioned that the petitioner which is my fathers needs to be in SPAIN in order for me to be approved the residency permit i would like to know how true this is? my father is old and cannot travel..

Can i just go on live in spain even if my father resides here in PH? and obtain my spanish citizenship?

Hoping for your response.. desperately

thank you

hello pumpkid

regarding your application i suggest that you shud tell the embassy about the status f your father that he cant travell bec.he is to old,and is your mom still in spain? or is she holding spanish passport?i think you can apply for your spanish residency coz your father is holding a spanish passport and you can prove it to them,(thats what i can see in your status) i think you can recover your citizenship in spain..just reply in this thread if everything is ok..goodluck for your application..

Unregistered
09-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Hello I'm Australian with Filipino grandmother and Filipino grandfather who has Spanish lineage. Do I qualify for Spanish citizenship after two years residency? I have lived in Spain while on a UK 2 year visa and was able to spend time with family there also, I'd like to return.

Thank you for taking the time to respond,

Ellen

rye
09-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Dear Rye,

You will be able to opt for Spanish citizenship after having legally resided in Spain for two years. Any time spent as student does not count towards citizenship.

I am on my phd now and they have revised my residency to "permiso de residencia" from "estudiante." Does this count already for the two year legal residence for citizenship?

thanks.

Unregistered
12-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Hi my name is Ramon

My mother is Spanish and my father Filipino. I chose to be a Spanish citizen then later acquired my dual citizenship to get my Filipino passport. I got married a few years ago and to avoid the trouble of Philippine system simply indicated that I was a Filipino citizen in my marriage contract. We now have a child and i placed Spanish for my citizenship in his birth certificate. Will my having placed Filipino in my marriage certificate make him an illegitimate child?

Patricia
12-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Hello Ramon

Not at all, you can use both nationalities and he is your child as appearing on the birth certificate. He is your legitimate child.

Regards,

Unregistered
01-07-2016, 01:52 PM
Hi,

I am a Spanish citizen registered under my fathers Libro de familia in Manila Philippines. Now I want to give my son the citizenship as well. The concern is, I got married and now annulled to a filipino citizen. This marriage was never registered in the Spanish consulate. But in my son´s birth certificate this will show. I am now living in Vienna Austria and will be visiting Manila for 3 weeks to fix my sons` citizenship and bring him together with me here. I wanted to know how long is the processing time of my son´s citizenship? what are the requirements? is it possible to fix his citizenship in advance (while in Vienna) to fast tract the processing. I wish that we fly together back here since he is only 9 years old. Hoping for your response. Since I already emailed the Spanish embassy and still no reply. =(

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Theresa

Patricia
01-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Hello Theresa

The usual course of action in this case is to register your son´s birth at the Spanish consulate as the son of a Spanish citizen, and then with that birth registration they can process his Spanish passport. I am unaware of how long this process can take. If you did it in Spain - I mean, you registered your son at a Spanish Civil Registry ( proving you had an address in Spain ) it would be fairly quick.

Regards,

Unregistered
01-08-2016, 10:20 PM
Hello Theresa

The usual course of action in this case is to register your son´s birth at the Spanish consulate as the son of a Spanish citizen, and then with that birth registration they can process his Spanish passport. I am unaware of how long this process can take. If you did it in Spain - I mean, you registered your son at a Spanish Civil Registry ( proving you had an address in Spain ) it would be fairly quick.

Regards,

Hello Patricia,

Thank you for the immediate reply. Then I will do this. Thank you again.

Regards,
Theresa

Unregistered
02-11-2016, 07:02 AM
Hi Patricia,
I am a Filipino and wants to migrate to Spain. Can you tell me the requirements needed? I could not find enough information on this esp. the bank requirements.
Also, is it true that I cannot work in Spain during this 2year period?

rye
03-18-2016, 07:01 PM
I am on my phd now and they have revised my residency to "permiso de residencia" from "estudiante." Does this count already for the two year legal residence for citizenship?

thanks.

i have now the normal permiso de residencia with observaciones aspectos laborales: "investigador (ley 14/2013)" since October 2014, Does this mean that by november 2016, i can apply already for my citizenship?

Please advise.

Thank you and best regards,

rye

vkurkjian
03-22-2016, 09:59 AM
Hi Patricia,

My Mom is a Filipino who wants to move to Spain to get the Spanish Nationality. I understand the requirements of living there for 2 years.

My questions is that if she acquires her nationality after 2 years, can she transfer her nationality to her children (above 18) who are Filipinos, but not born in Spain nor of Spanish origin?

Kindly elaborate. Thank you in advance!

Patricia
03-22-2016, 11:46 AM
Hello vkurkjian

As a Philippine citizen, your mother, as well as yourselves, can apply for the Spanish Nationality by residence after two years holding a residence status in Spain. Children under 18 years old would also be able to apply if they lived, holding a residence status, with their mother in Spain, regardless their place of birth. However, children over 18 cannot apply as if Nationality was acquired by your mother based on residency and not on origins or family ties, she cannot extend the right to her descendants, as she is not a Spanish national by origins.

I trust this information has been helpful.

Regards,

raylopez_pozas
05-10-2016, 10:26 AM
My 3 eldest children got their Spanish citizenship thru the Law of Historical Memory. I was denied even if my birth certificate said i was Spanish(my father was born Spanish- given his passport in 1945 after World War 2, his father(born in the Philippines 1898) was Spanish-son of Spanish general named Jose Lopez-Pozas(stationed in the Philippines). He came back to the Philippines in 1918 thereabouts to work for Tabacalera Tabacco Company. He eventually married my grandmother Matilde Thomas and they had 2 children(my father and my aunt). My father put me down as Spanish in my birth certificate when i was born. The family applied for Spanish citizenship thru the Law of Historical Memory. My 3 eldest kids were given their citizenship but the youngest who was 16 at the time was not since she signed all her documents. The consular officer did not inform us that she was not of legal age and i completely did not realize that there would be a problem with her signing all her documents. The officer claimed she would figure it out with the consul but my daughter has not received any letter from the consulate that her application for citizenship under The Law on Historical Memory was denied. My daughter is now 18 years old and would like to get her Spanish citizenship. It was not my daughter's fault that the consular officer and i did not spot the problem. I think she should be entitled to her Spanish citizenship.

raylopez_pozas
05-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Could i ask for your opinion Ms Patricia?

Patricia
06-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Hello Ray,

The best course of action in your case is to send a letter to the Spanish consulate requesting the current status of your daughter´s Nationlaity application, as her brothers have already been granted it.
The consulate should have sent you a formal request to appear at their office accompanied by your daughter so you are informed about the rejection based on the fact that she were an under-aged at the time.

Apparently, and based in your story, they have failed to proceed that way gettig in touch in writing, so you can now inisist that they re-open the file, and as she is now of legal age, continue with it. Of course, only as long as she is still within the legal timeframes to do so.

I recommend you to discuss this matter by email, as more particulars are required to be able to offer advice.

Regards,

Nico
06-09-2016, 03:15 PM
My wife is Spanish living in the Philippines. She was able to gain her citizenship because her grandfather was born in Spain. Anyway, our eldest daughter is planning to study in Spain for College. She is a spanish citizen aslo because of my wife. I know I have to live there for one year. does the one year living there mean I can not leave Spain for 365 days or does it mean I live in Spain, Pay taxes etc in Spain but I can leave the country as long as majority of my time in the year is in Spain. I currently work for a spanish company in The Philipines and they are willing to hire me in spain but I need to travel a lot and still oversee the Philippine operations from time to time. So I will not be qualified if I can not leave Spain for one year. Anyone can give advice? Thanks

raylopez_pozas
09-06-2016, 04:03 PM
Hi Patricia,

Everything is ok now. Had a meeting at the consulate to fix things and my daughter will be filling up some documents to apply for issuance of a passport. It took some time because of the schedule off my daughter in the university. Thank you for your help.

Muchas Gracias,

Raymond Lopez-Pozas

Vicente
10-02-2016, 09:35 AM
To Patricia,

Hope you could give me some answers. My mom (born in Philippines and grand-daughter of a Spanish born in Spain) was granted Spanish Citizenship through Law of Historical Memory. I understand that said law confers Spanish Citizenship "de Origen" thus I presume she is one. If she is Spanish de Origin, could she pass on to me Spanish Citizenship though I was already of age of majority when her name was registered in the Spanish Consulate in Manila?

Patricia
10-05-2016, 02:17 PM
Hello Vicente

As the son of a current Spanish citizen who was granted the Spanish Nationality based on the Historical Memory Law 57/2007, you are not entitled to Spanish Nationality right away, but You have the following options:

- Reside legally in Spain during one year. After that, you will be eligible for the Spanish Nationality by residence, as the son or grandson of a Spanish citizen.

- If your mother got the Spanish Nationality but she does not want to reside in Spain, her children are able to apply for Family Settlement, as your mother is considered a Spanish citizen by origins. Once being a resident, you apply for the Spanish Nationality after a year.

- If your mother wishes to reside in Spain, all her direct relatives ( children under 18, and spouse ) can apply for the residence card as relative of an EU citizen residing in Spain. Once being a resident, you apply for the Spanish Nationality after a year.

If you wish to learn more about the Spanish Nationality application and the documents required, click on the Ministry of Justice website link here (http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/Portal/es/areas-tematicas/nacionalidad/nacionalidad/como-adquiere-nacionalidad).

Regards,

Vicente
10-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Thank you so much, Patricia, for a prompt reply. Though it's sad I won't qualify for citizenship right away as I would like to preserve it for the succeeding generations of our family. It's kind of ironic that an adult adoptee of a Spaniard could do it easier than me who is a real flesh and blood of a Spanish de Origen.

Unregistered
10-17-2016, 08:38 PM
The circumstances which allow you to apply for Spanish citizenship based on blood lineage, go back two generations. Therefore you would be able to opt for it if your father or grandfather had been a Spaniard of origin. If this chain is broken and only your great-grandfather was a Spaniard you will not be able to opt for it.

Hello, I just want to clarify this point... My grandmother was born in the Philippines but was considered a Spanish citizen. Her father came from Cadiz and her mother was Spanish-Filipina - and from my understanding, given her circumstances during that time, she was born a Spanish citizen (and she was only naturalised as a Filipina later on). Does this still break the chain?

Also, if you don't mind me asking in this forum (I can also send a private e-mail), what are the legal fees involved if I would like to avail of your services? I am currently living in Madrid and would like to start the process.

Many thanks in advance :)

Patricia
10-18-2016, 01:38 PM
Hello

The chain can be regarded as broken since your parents were Philippine nationals when you were born. This fact broke the “Spanish by origins” chain; notwithstanding, you still have the right —as the grandchild of a Spanish citizen— to apply for Spanish nationality after one year of legal residency in Spain.

If you wish to discuss your case further I invite you to contact us by email.

Regards,

SpanishStudent
11-07-2016, 10:43 AM
Hi All,

I will be studying in Spain for a Masters degree next year. I hold a Filipino Passport. While browsing I was informed that Filipino individuals can get a Spanish Citizenship for only two years.

Can I apply directly while arriving there(in Spain) since the length of stay for my schooling is a bit more than 2 years. Also, will I be able to acquire dual citizenship or are there other options to retain my Filipino Citizenship.

Thanks in advance :)

Nathaniel
03-07-2017, 12:15 AM
Hello Patricia,

Thanks for the great response about the question of San Diego and Emmett regarding Spanish citizenship for i am and my family are in similar situations, most of the questions that i have in mind are been answered with your expertise and i am learning a lot on this forum. keep up the good work.

Nathaniel

Unregistered
03-28-2017, 10:07 PM
my father and both my siblings had been issued a spanish passport. how do i apply for one?

E. Urquiaga

Patricia
03-29-2017, 02:03 PM
Mr. Urquiaga

Please clarify the circumstances that led them to get a Spanish passport: where did they get it, if your siblings are under aged, where do they reside, etc.

Once we have that information, we understand the particular case and offer an answer.

Regards,

callixtus
12-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Hi Patricia. I am a natural born Filipino citizen (born in the Philippines to both Filipino parents) and a naturalized Canadian Citizen. I am living in Spain under the residencia no lucrativa. I have two questions:
1. Can I study for a Master's degree in a Spanish University under the residencia no lucrativa or this is also prohibited?
2. If I apply for Spanish citizenship once I meet the required 2 year residency period in Spain, will I need to renounce my Filipino Citizenship and my Canadian Citizenship?
Thank you very much for your help.

Patricia
12-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Hello Callixtus,

You can certainly study in Spain. The Non Lucrative residence permit´s limitation is related to work issues; you cannot be a salaried or self-employd worker in Spain, as you residence permit does not include a work permit.

Regarding the second question, you will have to renounce the Canadian nationality, but not the Philippine one, as Spain recognizes Double Nationality to Philippone citizens.

Spain won´t recognize your Canadian nationality ( as you will have renounced it when sweraring the Spanish Nationality oaths ) regardless the fact the Canadian authorities allow you renew your passports and still consider you a Canadian national.

Regards,

Jacquiline
02-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Hi! How would I be able to track down my great and great, great grandfathers' lineage? My mother told me that her aunts told her that VILLEN supposedly was their real last name instead of BELEN. My great or great, great grandfather was forced to changed it to Belen because Spaniards were hunted down at that period. Is there any way that I can trace back my lineage? Thanks!

Patricia
02-09-2018, 02:19 PM
Hello Jacquiline

The first step is to try and track down your origins by means of Civil registry birth certificates from your ancestors ( In the Philippines I suppose ). Once that you get to the Spanish origin´s ancestor, start consulting Spanish registries.

The National Library of Spain has very useful and interesting tools available for those ends at its ancestors´ locators tool:

http://www.bne.es/es/Micrositios/Guias/Genealogia/index.html

Regards,

Unregistered
02-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Hi-I have been an American citizen for 25+ years (renounced my Filipino citizenship). What paperwork do I need to get a hold of when applying for Spanish citizenship? Also can I keep my US citizenship? Do I have to provide work when fulfilling the two year residency or am I allowed to not hold a job but still can show savings that can financially support me for those two years?

Patricia
02-15-2018, 03:31 PM
Hello

For you ( as an US national ) to be eligible for the Spanish citizenship, you need to have resided in Spain for ten years in advance, holding a valid residence permit. Therefore the first step is to become a resident. If you could get back your Philippine nationality, the period will be reduced to two years instead of ten.

If you initially start being a resident without a work permit ( Non Lucrative residence permit ), you can either renew you permit as long as you still meet the same conditions, or you can also apply for a modification of the permit if you need to have a work permit along with the residence one. The requirements vary depending on whether you will be working as a salaried or self-employed worker.

Please note that the first renewal applies after the first year and once granted, it is valid for two additional years.

Regards,

XT1000
04-19-2018, 01:25 PM
1. I am from the Philippines.
2. Do i still need to know how to speak Spanish and do i still need to understand Spanish in order to get Spanish citizenship via residency?
3. Do i still need to know "constitutional and sociocultural knowledge" in order to get Spanish citizenship via residency?

Patricia
05-07-2018, 02:19 PM
Hello XT1000,

The answer is "yes" to both your questions.

You can check it here (http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/Portal/es/ciudadanos/tramites-gestiones-personales/nacionalidad-residencia).

Regards,

Miguel
07-20-2018, 04:03 AM
Hello,
I am from the Philippines and I want to apply for Spanish Citizenship. My great grandparents on grandmother's side are PENINSULARES and my grandmother (born 1890) is INSULARES. My great grandparents and grandfather (born 1885) are pure spaniards born and raised in Spain. They have not renounced their Spanish Citizenship. Their son, my father (born 1920) was born here in Manila. He never acquired Philippine Passport. I am in my 40's now and all of them are deceased. What are my chances of getting Spanish Citizenship by Origin? Thank You.

Unregistered
07-23-2018, 02:56 AM
Hello,

My grandfather's father may or may not be a Spanish citizen (born in Spain, although ethnically he is), is my father eligible to apply for a Spanish citizenship (through 2nd generation) if proven that his grandfather was indeed born in Spain? If so, what are the documents for it? What is the process and how long would it take?

And if that's not the case, what are my father's other options to get a Spanish citizenship?

Zara

Patricia
07-27-2018, 01:10 AM
Hello Zara,

You need to prove not only that he was born in Spain, but that he never lost his Spanish citizenship.

I understand you do not live in Spain an d therefore the first thing to do is to make an enquiry at the Spanish embassy and then apply for a birth certificate for your grand grandfather. If the Spanish ancestry line was never interrupted, you could be considered a Spanish citizen by origins, but your grandfather and father must be recognized as Spanish citizens first.

In the event you can only prove that your grandfather was a Spanish citizen, but not your father, you can apply for the Spanish nationality after one year of legal residency in Spain.

Regards,

franco.imperial
08-26-2018, 01:36 PM
Hi Patricia/Marta,

I am a Filipino citizen and I have a question on the residency status that would qualify to obtain a Spanish citizenship.

I studied in Madrid for 15 months for my Master's degree and was able to extend my visa for another 12 months after my master since I applied to Instituto Cervantes for language classes. Hence, this would give me a total of 27 months in Spain once I finish the classes. (In the meantime I am also doing some internships with a bank).

My question is, does a student's permit (NIE) qualify as residency? Moreover, in the event I do not get any other way to extend my NIE after these 27 months (e.g. I don't get a full-time job offer), what would you recommend that I do in order to reach the objective of applying for a Spanish citizenship?

Thanks so much.

Best,
Franco

Patricia
09-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Hello Franco

Please note that student visas are linked to stay status and not residency and therefore those periods of time are not accountable in terms of residency time required to be eligible for the Spanish Nationality.

You need to modify your status to " residencia", by means of a work and residence permit application. Once you have been residing in Spain holding that status for two years, you´ll be ready to apply for the Spanish nationality.

Please feel free to drop us an email if you have any questions.

Regards,

Dyydxx
09-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Hi Patricia,

I'm a naturalized filipino citizen. I was born in Ethiopia. Is there any chance I qualify for this 2- year residency if I use my filipino citizenship?

Patricia
09-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Hello Dyydxx,

Yes, those holding Philippine nationality can apply for the Spanish nationality after two years´ residency in Spain.

Regards,

jesatlarge
10-16-2018, 06:34 AM
Tremendous forum so thanks to all for all the great information. I am a US citizen by birth, who recently acquired Filipino citizenship through my father who was a Filipino citizen when I was born (in the US). So I am a natural born Filipino per Filipino law. My birth and citizenship in the PI was recently registered through the Filipino consulate. However, the paperwork for my PI passport was lost and I have not yet reapplied. Questions:
1. Do I need a PI passport to prove I am Filipino or will proof of registration and acknowledgement of my birth with the authorities in Manila be enough?
2. I intend to either get a job in Spain (international school) or non lucrativo visa. Is it correct that recently the processing time to convert these to citizenship after the two year period is now less than a year?
3. Will my wife ( non US non Filipino) get permanent residency or citizenship through mine?
4. If I renounce my US citizenship to get Spanish, will the US automatically cancel my passport?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Patricia
10-17-2018, 02:38 PM
Hello Jesatlarge,

Thanks for your kind words.

In reply to your questions:

1. You certainly need to prove you have the Philippine passport.
2. You will be eligible for the Spanish Nationality application after two years holding a residence permit ( either as a salaried worker, self employed or just holding mere residence). Then, the processing time of nationality applications have been reduced but still takes longer than a year.
3. She will be able to shift from mere residence ( based on family reunion or via a non lucrative permit ) to a residence card as the relative of an EU citizen ( 5 years validity) and then apply for a permanent residence card. Once you are a Spanish citizen she will have to wait for one year ( holding legal residence status ) before she can file the Spanish nationality application as spouse of a Spanish citizen.
4. No, but Spain will only recognize your Spanish nationality.

Regards,

jesatlarge
11-10-2018, 06:31 AM
Patricia, thank you so much for you answers. I have two more questions.

1. During the two years of my non lucrativo visa that I will be using for residency, must I be present in Spain itself for 183 days of each calendar year, or 183 days in the larger Schengen area?

2. If I apply for Spanish citizenship after these two years, what are the residency requirements during the year or so that I must wait for citizenship?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. I searched the entire thread and could not find answers to these questions.

Patricia
11-23-2018, 11:57 AM
Hello Jesatlarge

Please find your questions answered below:

1. During the two years of my non lucrativo visa that I will be using for residency, must I be present in Spain itself for 183 days of each calendar year, or 183 days in the larger Schengen area?

You should remain in Spain, though you can also be in the Schengen area bearing in mind your passport won´t be stamped. Anyhow, if your main purpose is to get the Spanish citizenship, I recommend you to stay in Spain as long as you can as the registry officer gives a lot of importance to the actual residency, the command of the Spanish language and integration in Spanish culture and customs.

2. If I apply for Spanish citizenship after these two years, what are the residency requirements during the year or so that I must wait for citizenship?

You must not exceed three months in a row out of Spain. The rest of the time, you need to reside and stay in Spain. The 183 rule applies to keeping a residency status, but for citizenship purposes, the minimum stay requirements are more strict.

Regards,

jordz09
12-27-2018, 03:34 PM
Hello!

I am a Filipino resident who wants to claim Spanish citizenship by option. I am a son of a Spanish man but unfortunately, he left when I was born. I was wondering if I would be able to argue this as a ground for citizenship? His name is indicated in my birth certificate as proof.

I wanted to trace my bloodline as my grandparents are of Spanish descent. Would it be possible to inquire directly at the Spanish Embassy? Thank you so much!

ECB
07-12-2019, 06:02 AM
Hi Patricia. After reading this thread and other sites talking about residency and citizenship, I have the following questions/clarifications:

1. For the 2-year residency for a Philippine citizen/national to be eligible for citizenship, the stay does not need to be continuous for as long as I stay at least 183 days per year, correct?

2. In relation to question 1, "per year" means calendar year? Or is the "year" counted from the time I'm issued a residence visa (like a Golden Visa or a non-lucrative visa) and is not on a calendar year?

3. After I meet the 2-year residency requirement and I apply for citizenship, I still need to stay another year while the citizenship application is in process?

4. During the time that the citizenship application is in process, I cannot leave Spain for more than 3 continuous months until the citizenship is approved?

5. If I enter Spain on a non-lucrative visa and then I decide to start a business or I get a job, can I convert to an entrepreneur's visa or work visa? And will the time I spent in Spain under the non-lucrative visa be counted towards the 2-year residency requirement for citizenship?

Patricia
07-15-2019, 04:39 PM
Hello ECB,

Please read my replies to your questions:

1. Yes, as long as you meet the minimum stay requirement that allowed you renew your residence permit, you should be fine.

2.It is the year counted since you were issued the residence visa.

3.Yes, you can Travel but always meet the minimum stay requirement. If you are out of Spain for long periods of time, be sure someone is checking the mail and notification´s address as the Civil Registry can send you documentation requests or other type of communications related to the nationality application along the process and usually involve a deadline, so it is important to be alert and not miss any notification.

4. You are correct.

5. You can apply for a modification of your residence permit at any time once you have renewed the permit for the first time. The amount of time as a resident under the Non Lucrative permit would be added to the new residence authorization.

If you need further assistance, please contact us via our contact page: https://www.lawbird.com/services/contact

Regards,

Unregistered
07-22-2019, 05:29 PM
Thank you very much, Patricia!

Unregistered
10-05-2019, 01:16 AM
Hello,
My Grandmother's father was a Spaniard but she was only raised by her Filipina mother. Would this qualify my Grandmother as being a Spanish descendent and therefore qualifying my lineage of being within the 2 generations?

Regards,
Jeff

Patricia
10-08-2019, 04:11 PM
Hello Jeff,

That depends on how far you can back track the Spanish ancestry based on birth certificates and also by checking whether your grandmother was officially recognized as her father´s daughter while her father was considered a Spanish citizen: that is, that he never lost his Spanish citizenship and he held it at the time she was born.

An inquiry at the Spanish embassy, taking as many documents as you can with you, would be helpful.

Regards,

Maria-Elena
12-02-2019, 03:11 AM
Hi Patricia,

Found your answers helpful in this thread. I have 1 thing to clarify, for the non-lucrative visa, the requirement is €2,151.36 per month. I am a freelancer, and I cannot support with document that I earn that amount per month. However, I have enough savings required for a year, in order to qualify for the non-lucrative visa. Will that be a problem in my application?

Thank you in advance for answering.

Elena

Patricia
12-04-2019, 04:46 PM
Hello Maria-Elena,

You do not need to prove that exact amount per month; that is, that you have a regular monthly income of that amount, but show documented evidences that you have the equivalent to the 400% minimum salary in Spain per month for a whole year: €25,816.32.

The availability of such financial resources will be accredited by any documentation that allows the officers verify that regular income is generated by the main applicant or they own sufficient income/assets that guarantees the requested income is obtained. The accepted documentation is: ownership titles, certified bank checks and credit cards supported by letter issued and stamped from the relevant bank or financial entity, indicating the available amount as well as the credit on the card. if the financial means are sourced from shares in foreign companies established in Spain, Spanish or mixed corporations, the applicant will have to prove, by means of a company certificate, that they do not undertake any work position in any of the said companies and will file a sworn declaration or affidavit for that end.

Regards,

Jordz
12-23-2019, 11:33 PM
Hello!

I am a Filipino resident who wants to claim Spanish citizenship by option. I am a son of a Spanish man but unfortunately, he left when I was born. I was wondering if I would be able to argue this as a ground for citizenship? His name is indicated in my birth certificate as proof.

I wanted to trace my bloodline as my grandparents are of Spanish descent. Would it be possible to inquire directly at the Spanish Embassy? Thank you so much!

Patricia
01-02-2020, 04:51 PM
Hello Jordz,

The first step is to confirm your Spanish origins. You mention your father was Spanish and that his name appears in your birth certificate. Do you know if he was a Spanish citizen at the time you were born? If that is the case and you obtain a copy of his birth certificate and passport or DNI, I believe a visit to the embassy in Manila is worth it. In the event you are considered originally Spanish, you will be able to apply for the Spanish nationality by option easily.

As the grandson of a Spanish citizen, you would be able to apply for the Spanish nationality after one year holding a residence permit in Spain.

Regards,

renzo
02-26-2020, 04:15 PM
Hi Patricia

so this is what i read so far.
1. need 26k euro to show to the authority that you can sustain living in spain
2. it doesnt have to be full 730 days(2 years). just need 185 days per year for 2 years

my question is:
1. that 185 days per year, can i split it like every 2 months i come and go to spain? or it has to be straight 185 days?
2. im in UAE right now and my family is in Philippines. can i get a citizenship for me first and do a "Petition" for my family? or will they be automatically get the spanish passport too? the kids are under 18 years

my plan is i wont be resigning from my job here in UAE if i can split those 185 days that my current employer can agree to.

Patricia
02-27-2020, 01:32 PM
Hi Patricia

so this is what i read so far.
1. need 26k euro to show to the authority that you can sustain living in spain
2. it doesnt have to be full 730 days(2 years). just need 185 days per year for 2 years

my question is:
1. that 185 days per year, can i split it like every 2 months i come and go to spain? or it has to be straight 185 days?
2. im in UAE right now and my family is in Philippines. can i get a citizenship for me first and do a "Petition" for my family? or will they be automatically get the spanish passport too? the kids are under 18 years

my plan is i wont be resigning from my job here in UAE if i can split those 185 days that my current employer can agree to.

Hello Renzo,

The 183 days per year do not need to be continuous; you can leave every two months if needed.

In response to your second question, note that you will be able to apply for their nationality ( of they live abroad) once you are already a Spanish national, via the Option route, if by then they are under 20 years old. Your wife cannot be included. She need to reside in Spain first and meet the requirements.

Regards,

renzo
02-27-2020, 02:32 PM
Hello Renzo,

The 183 days per year do not need to be continuous; you can leave every two months if needed.

In response to your second question, note that you will be able to apply for their nationality ( of they live abroad) once you are already a Spanish national, via the Option route, if by then they are under 20 years old. Your wife cannot be included. She need to reside in Spain first and meet the requirements.

Regards,

Hi patricia

thanks for replying. so my wife will do the same 2 years process then.

its relieving that i can split those 183 days. you are really helpful

thanks

Ana
07-04-2020, 03:34 PM
Hi Patricia,

I'm a Filipino married to an EU national and we are based in the UAE. My parents in law are residing in Spain. I have an existing schengen visa valid for 5 years. I want to get a non lucrative visa so the times I spent in Spain during summer vacations and holidays can go towards getting my citizenship. I will be splitting my time between Spain and the UAE. I'm a housewife and doesn't have a bank account under my name.

- Do I have to cancel my Schengen visa in order to apply for the NL visa? Am I allowed to travel to other EU countries while under the NL visa?
- for the €25k amount needed, can I just use my husband's bank account to show this as he will be the one supporting me anyway? If I need to open an account under my name, will they accept it if it only shows one transaction for the transfer of the said amount?
- can I use my parents in law's address for my residency?

akspinto
07-04-2020, 03:39 PM
Thank you!

P.S sorry, I forgot to put thank you :)

Regards,
Ana

Patricia
07-10-2020, 10:32 AM
Hello Ana,

You can apply for the Non Lucrative residence permit even if you have a schengen visa for 5 years. Note that in order to keep your residence status once you obtain the permit, you need to spend at least 6 months per year in Spain. The NL residence permit will indicate you are a spanish resident and therefore you can travel within the Schengen area and stay there for 90 days within a period of 180.
When applying for the permit, you will need to prove you have sufficient sources of income. If you are dependent on your husband, you will have to prove regular transfers into your account (spanish or foreign account). You can certainly use your parents´ in law´s address for your residence permit application.

Regards,

mmacrohon
10-02-2020, 03:00 PM
Hello Patricia,

I am a Filipino and I am planning to apply for a non-lucrative visa to live in Spain with my family and then eventually apply for citizenship after the 2 year required residency period. I do have several questions

1. Will it be ok to tell the Spanish consular officer of my ultimate intention, which is to acquire citizenship, in applying for the non-lucrative visa?

2. Regarding the minimum days of stay in Spain, will it be ok if I stay in Spain for straight 7 months then come back to the Philippines for 4 months then back to Spain again to repeat the cycle? Will staying out of Spain for 4 months a year affect my citizenship application the future?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Patricia
10-13-2020, 04:05 PM
Hello Mark,

You can be honest and tell the embassy officers that you want to relocate to Spain as the final intention is to obtain the Spanish nationality, but do not indicate it as the only reason as this will make them think you will not effectively reside there.

You need to be sure that you spend at least 6 months in Spain per year ( count 6 months back starting the last date of entry in Spain when you file for the renewal application).

Regards,

renzo
01-13-2021, 02:21 AM
Hello Mark,

You can be honest and tell the embassy officers that you want to relocate to Spain as the final intention is to obtain the Spanish nationality, but do not indicate it as the only reason as this will make them think you will not effectively reside there.

You need to be sure that you spend at least 6 months in Spain per year ( count 6 months back starting the last date of entry in Spain when you file for the renewal application).

Regards,

so the 2 years requirement is just 1 year? (6 months per year?)

or if i want to stay every 6 months per year, i will do this for 4 years to complete the 2 year stay?

Patricia
01-18-2021, 01:29 PM
Renzo,

You need to complete 2 years residency and spend at least 6 months per year in Spain.

Regards,

mmacrohon
04-10-2021, 06:35 PM
Hello Patricia,

Thank you so much for your reply. I do have one more question. My children are ages 2,4,8,11. Assuming we have all complied with the 2 year residency in Spain together, can all my children also apply for the citizenship? Assuming they are still minors by then.

Best Regards,
Mark

Patricia
04-13-2021, 02:14 PM
Hello Mark,

Once you obtain your Spanish nationality by residency, you can file your children´s Spanish nationality application, via the By Option route. If your children are in Spain with you, you can file their application in Spain. Otherwise, the application would be filed at the Spanish embassy or consulate.

mmacrohon
04-20-2021, 05:28 AM
Thank you very much Patricia.

Unregistered
11-08-2021, 05:16 PM
Hi,

I have read somewhere that 50% of the time you were with the Student Visa in Spain will be counted for the purpose of obtaining the residency. Is this true?

Also, can the Job Seeker Visa be counted for the 2-year residency requirement?

Say, I’ll study a 2-year Master’s program then a 1-year Job Seeker Visa. Would this be counted for the 2-year residency requirement?

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Katrina